1997 GP ORP Menu G Review

Reviews of rations from abroad - British ration packs, EPA, IMP, RCIR, etc.
Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

1997 GP ORP Menu G Review

Post by Amelieee1 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:55 pm

Decided to start working my way through a 1997 ORP menu G the other day.
The ORP came from a 1997 Cheese removed case, so the meatballs main has been replaced (1998) , but thats all i think.
Upon opening the ration i found that the biscuits fruit had a hole in them, not a particuarly great sign.
aaaaaaaaaaaaa.PNG

Time for the meatballs and pasta:
I cooked the meal for about 12 minutes, instead of the recommended 7-8. It got cold within about 5 minutes, but while it was hot the sauce had an amazing herby flavour.
The meatballs were kind of bland, was hoping for some onion inside them, but just plain meatballs, the pasta was pretty well cooked and soft. No shortage of the sauce.
Overall 7/10

P_20201120_202302.jpg
P_20201120_202313.jpg
P_20201120_203422.jpg
P_20201120_203532.jpg
P_20201120_203611.jpg
More to come as i work my way through
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations

Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Re: 1997 GP ORP Menu G Review

Post by Amelieee1 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:04 pm

Review part 2: Chicken Casserole with Herb Dumplings.

To start this off, i want to preface this by saying that after the first meal, i was feeling quite confident and was looking forward to the chicken and dumplings. Emphasis on "was"
The date is again early 1998, which I still havent figured out as this came from a 1997 case.

From taking this main out of the box, the pouch felt thinner, weaker and more frail even through the protective plastic overpouch, things didnt get better when i removed the overpouch;
I noticed what i thought was either delamination, or a packaging defect with some extra plastic being put on the edges, but due to the excellent condition of the other meal i convinced myself it was the latter.

P_20201125_205532.jpg

After a 10 minute bath in boiling water, i took the pouch out and dried it, there was a somewhat noticeable split down the middle of the pouch, thinking the meal was definitely shot i just opened it that way
and i have to say im glad i did, while not being a great sign for shelf stability, i could see the plastic inner bag lining that had separated from the metal, in the end the peeled pouch made for a cool spectacle and
an interesting insight into how retort technology was back then.
P_20201125_210854.jpg
P_20201125_210930.jpg
Presumably because im missing some wiring in my head, i decided to taste some.
Lets get this laid out onto my pl-

Hit by a waft of just rotting something, I might have coughed during the taking of this photograph.
P_20201125_211148.jpg

I still speared a bit of chicken onto my fork, a chewy retort-chicken texture and a faint taste of chicken that was overpowered by i dont even know, i cant describe it using polite words, the dumplings were a whole
different story though. Full of herby flavor, perfect texture and really good, I finished about 1 and 1/2 of the 4 or 5 dumplings. Something about eating rotten 22 year old food on a school night didnt seem like a smart idea to me :D

Before scraping it into the bin, i tried a pea and a chunk of potato, they were like the chicken, terrible taste but also very mushy. The sauce had alot of seperated oils, I didn't try and mess with that. The cat is usually all over my dinner, but he decided to steer clear from this one.

One final observation before ending the segment, while rinsing out the pan I found a number of specs of plastic and a few tiny specs of metal. That was fun to clean out!

Overall 3/10
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations