Canadian 2011 IMP "Smothered Chicken"

Reviews of rations from abroad - British ration packs, EPA, IMP, RCIR, etc.
Teddydogno1

Canadian 2011 IMP "Smothered Chicken"

Post by Teddydogno1 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:05 pm

More than a year ago, I bought a group of 5 2011 Canadian IMPs for a good price. It is generally thought that they don't hold up as long as the US MREs, but even at about 10 years, this one was in pretty good shape!

This won't be a full-on review, but rather an overview.

On opening the bag, I could tell that something had "gone off." Turned out to be commercial packets of cheese crackers and oatmeal cookies. Both had a strong off smell of rancid fats and over-old crackers. Right into the trash with those.

All of the other items seemed to be in very good shape! The dated items were mostly from some time mid to late 2010 packaging (the entry was date coded 10202).
  • The lemon beverage powder was good and mixed nicely in the beverage bag.
  • Lipton Cup O Soup mixed up well and tasted fine (just what I wanted on a hot summer day).
  • I warmed the retort pouch of Apple Sauce and it looked, smelled and tasted fresh. Hardly even darkened. I ate about half because I'm not a huge fan.
  • The Smothered Chicken main course was heated in simmering water for about 6 minutes. it was piping hot and completely edible. It did taste a bit like "canned food", but probably always did. Lots of firm texture to the chicken. The sauce was tasty and complete with mushrooms, some red peppers and a leafy vegetable that was probably from Earth. I did use some of the "jalapeno sauce" packet and it did make it a bit more complex.
  • A small packet of bread stuffing (think Stovetop Stuffing) constituted well and was a decent accompaniment to the meal. Soaked up some sauce.
  • And finally the "Pain" really was almost like real fresh bread, if a little bit dry. Made a pretty good PB and Raspberry Jelly sandwich. By then I was full, so only ate half.
  • I have note yet tried the Coffee Instant Type I, lightener, sugar or hot Apple Drink mixes, but they all seem just fine from the outside!

Rob

Smitty

Re: Canadian 2011 IMP "Smothered Chicken"

Post by Smitty » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:21 pm

Awesome Rob! I love these oldschool ones. It was stored well for sure. I've had as far back as 2004 in perfectly edible state, but I wonder how much of the bad rap is the difference between the markets.

What other 2011's IMps do you have? I am missing Menu 1 and 2 of Breakfast, and 1 and 3 of Lunch.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

Cortexmelon

Post by Cortexmelon » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:41 pm

Smitty wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:21 pm
Awesome Rob! I love these oldschool ones. It was stored well for sure. I've had as far back as 2004 in perfectly edible state, but I wonder how much of the bad rap is the difference between the markets.

What other 2011's IMps do you have? I am missing Menu 1 and 2 of Breakfast, and 1 and 3 of Lunch.
Those IMPs really are probably the better rations that hold up, even my '96 IMP had some things still good, very shocking!

Thanks for the review, love seeing all these cool IMP's that came out the years for sure.

housil

Post by housil » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:51 am

Still have three cases of 2007 IMPs, so no need in hurry to eat them :D

GunnarTheFeisty

Post by GunnarTheFeisty » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:38 am

if I were you I'd just let those ones go. 13 years is a bit long for those
most wanted: RCIR, MCI/B units, IMPs, anything old, and a packet or two of RAFCO soup. PM if you've got these, or anything else to sell that isn't too expensive.

Teddydogno1

Post by Teddydogno1 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:50 am

This morning for my first cup of coffee, I'm having the "Type 1" instant coffee with "Whitener, Dry" and a packet of sugar. Condition of all is fine. Basic instant coffee and a reminder why instant coffee is not my primary morning beverage.

The other "11' IMPs I have are:

Menu 3 Chicken breast with spicy sauce
Menu 4 Salmon Filet with Tuscany sauce
Menu 5 Meat Loaf with Cabernet sauce
Menu 6 Stuffed Pasta with Ricotta

All are lunch/supper menus. I've never had a Canadian breakfast menu IMP.

I also have 5 2016 and 2017 lunch IMPS and have eaten a 2015 "Sheppard's Pie".

I think 2007 is a stretch. I have a case of 2006 US MREs and they are pretty long in the tooth (even though the TTI still shows good!). The mains and primary sides seem OK still, if a little off in quality. But nut packs and minor items are getting pretty bad.

Rob

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:54 pm

GunnarTheFeisty wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:38 am
if I were you I'd just let those ones go. 13 years is a bit long for those
I wouldn’t say so. I’ve eaten older.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

GunnarTheFeisty

Post by GunnarTheFeisty » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:55 pm

oh my god Smitty no
most wanted: RCIR, MCI/B units, IMPs, anything old, and a packet or two of RAFCO soup. PM if you've got these, or anything else to sell that isn't too expensive.

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:57 pm

Teddydogno1 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:50 am
The other "11' IMPs I have are:

Menu 3 Chicken breast with spicy sauce
Menu 4 Salmon Filet with Tuscany sauce
Menu 5 Meat Loaf with Cabernet sauce
Menu 6 Stuffed Pasta with Ricotta
Dang! Haha. Got the components listed on the IMP spreadsheets.
All the best, Gents.