French RIER Menu#5 B/B 2020 Component Review

Reviews of rations from abroad - British ration packs, EPA, IMP, RCIR, etc.
Kays1968
eBay name: htcx3

French RIER Menu#5 B/B 2020 Component Review

Post by Kays1968 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:36 pm

First installment. I was curious about the potential heat damage done to this ration, so I decided to open the two components that were most likely affected.
KIMG0962.JPG
First, and most significant, the chocolate bar.
KIMG0973.JPG
Clearly, this one suffered heat damage. It was bloomed all the way through to the center. There was a significant amount of powder in the package where the chocolate had started to break down. Still, I tried it. I found that the chocolate crumbled in my mouth into a powder. Not the most pleasant of experiences. However, the flavor was still intact. After chewing for a moment or two, the chocolate had an acceptable flavor. No bitterness, a nice smooth dark chocolate flavor. I thought that I could save this by using it for something else, but after trying to melt it into some cocoa with no success, I threw the remaining bar away.

The jelly bar turned out to be a little more successful.
KIMG0971.JPG
This was a nice, rich, very natural pear flavor. Not too sweet, but with the sugar on the outside it satisfied that dessert craving. This bar was significantly harder the normal, and I attribute that to the heat damage and age. Other than that, it was perfectly acceptable and highly enjoyable.

Smitty

Re: French RIER Menu#5 B/B 2020 Component Review

Post by Smitty » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:10 pm

Oh dude, nice deal, I’m glad it was an overall positive experience despite the hurdles haha. Thanks for sharing.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:50 pm

My suggestion would be to add these component reviews to the original review you started with this ration here:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10853

That way, people can follow your progress in one place. But that's just a suggestion - post it however you'd like - great reviews!

Kays1968
eBay name: htcx3

Post by Kays1968 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:02 am

Good idea. Thank you!