24-Hr Russian SPECPIT Expedition Ration - Part 2

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

24-Hr Russian SPECPIT Expedition Ration - Part 2

Post by parafireboy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:25 pm

Hey rationauts, here is part 2 of the review.

The only downside of these types of rations is that you need to have the implements necessary to boil water, as well as the time. These aren't the best for eating on the move, but if you're settled into camp or taking a nice meal break along your journey, the lightweight and compact nature is great, so long as you have access to water for reconstituting.

Here is everything after preparing and plating. . .
IMG_0852.JPG
Contents Prepared
IMG_0853.JPG
Tray Closer-Up
Starting with the main courses, the breakfast menu of sweet rice with raisins was the smallest of the entrees. It might not be a bad idea to have the fruit/nut bar along with it. It was good. Not too sweet, but just enough to be satisfying.

The Siberian borscht was good. I think it was meant to have more water added to it, as the photos I've seen of borscht look more soup-like. I kept it more mashed-potato consistency, which kept it from running into other things on the tray. It was seasoned well, had just the right amount of salt without being too salty, and was a decent portion size.

The mashed potatoes with fried onions was my favorite. In full disclosure, I've had this one before in a IRP-BS and really enjoyed it, so it wasn't my first time having this. Very large portion size compared to the other dishes also.

The chocolate bar was good. No bloom on it at all (not that it affects flavor, just an observation), and a good mix of sweet/bitter. No melting at all.

The fried peanuts were very lightly salted and fresh. I think they struck a good balance of salt on these, as it has just enough to provide some added flavor without being thirst-provoking.

The raisins where the same raisins you would find anywhere in any package labeled "raisins". Not much more one can say about those.

The sunflower seeds were not salted, but could've used a little. Not bad, I guess I'm just not used to eating sunflower seeds in this form.

The crackers tasted very much like the ones in the military-issue IRPs. Bland and unsalted.

The apple jam/butter was very, very good. I really love the apple butter in the Russian rations. It really helped out the boring crackers.

The Adapton beverage was lightly sweet and had a slight citrus flavor. Pretty light and refreshing. Contained added vitamins as well.

The black tea was the standard tea from the other IRPs. Good tea.

The coffee was surprisingly smooth and flavorful for a dehydrated/freeze-dried coffee. I enjoyed it.

The plum nut bar was pretty good as well. Not too sweet, with a very natural taste to it.

The Mentos candies that I referred to in part 1 are in fact gum, not candy. I stand corrected.

It was an enjoyable ration. I'm glad I've got a few more on the shelf to enjoy. Thanks for reading! :)

WorkmanMRE

Re: 24-Hr Russian SPECPIT Expedition Ration - Part 2

Post by WorkmanMRE » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:04 pm

Am i mistaken or was that a vegetarian ration(no meat) ?

If so, thats the first non-meat Russian ration I've seen! Sweet!
Cheers,
WorkmanMRE

and
Animal Free MRE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC39Adn ... subscriber
-----------------------------------------------------------

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Re: 24-Hr Russian SPECPIT Expedition Ration - Part 2

Post by parafireboy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:35 pm

WorkmanMRE wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Am i mistaken or was that a vegetarian ration(no meat) ?

If so, thats the first non-meat Russian ration I've seen! Sweet!
The borscht did have meat. It was labeled as "Siberian borscht with meat". Not sure what kind, presumably beef. You're right, it would've been a first though!