Civie MREs: Looking for Suggestions.

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
boy_scout_kevin

Civie MREs: Looking for Suggestions.

Post by boy_scout_kevin » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:08 pm

I like to keep various forms of long-term survival food around, and I'm looking for some MRE-type rations at the moment. It appears that civilian MREs have come a long way, but the variety is a tad bewildering, and I'd prefer to have a few personal testimonials to start out with anyway. So, please tell me about your experiences with civilian MREs.

limp_noodle

Re: Civie MREs: Looking for Suggestions.

Post by limp_noodle » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:02 pm

I've had some myself

The Big 3 (SoPackCo, TWC, Aeriqual) are going to be pretty much the same as the US MRE. I had a case of the SoPackCo ones and they were basically US MRE "Light" version meaning that they didn't come with all of the normal stuff you'd get (i.e. an extra side, crakcers/bread are all pretty much the same within the case and very little variation with extras like spreads and such)

The other one I personally had was MRE Star. The menus were very fresh in the case that I had and differed a lot from the normal stuff. Off the top of my head there was Ham & Pinto bean stew, and BBQ chicken. There are others, but I haven't gotten around to trying them yet. It came with snacks and sides, but they were MRE star branded stuff. Overall I enjoyed it, but I probably wouldn't get another case again unless I get a good deal (which was the reason why I bought it in the first place)

I've been watching a few videos from GSchultz9 and his review on the XMRE brand looked good, especially the new 2018 line with the new FRH.

boy_scout_kevin

Post by boy_scout_kevin » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:56 pm

limp_noodle wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:02 pm

The Big 3 (SoPackCo, TWC, Aeriqual) are going to be pretty much the same as the US MRE. I had a case of the SoPackCo ones and they were basically US MRE "Light" version meaning that they didn't come with all of the normal stuff you'd get (i.e. an extra side, crakcers/bread are all pretty much the same within the case and very little variation with extras like spreads and such)
Thanks for the feedback. Are there any that do come with extras/variations, or is there a way to get a hold of military mres before they've been sent out, and haven't had the possibility of spending six months in the proverbial desert?

limp_noodle

Post by limp_noodle » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:57 pm

I like to recommend TOTMs. They're another "light" version of MREs but also made for military training.

Here are the menus

http://www.dla.mil/Portals/104/Document ... m_menu.pdf

They're a little hard to find but a good alternative if you do find some.

IMO all of the cases of military MREs that I've purchased have been in great shape. Just shop around on eBay for a good deal and make sure you shop wisely. I always look for auctions that show the exact product, have multiple detailed pictures and are priced just right.

But since you're looking for using these as emergency rations I suggest going with a good civilian brand like XMRE. The reviews I've seen on the have been positive and they pack them with fresh contents.