Russian Commercial Retort Pouch Kasha

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Russian Commercial Retort Pouch Kasha

Post by parafireboy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:28 am

Hey everyone! Yesterday I decided to try the commercial retort pouch beef kasha that is being sold in Russia.
IMG_6065.JPG
Pouch
I grabbed my field cooking bag (to be gone over in a separate post at a future date) and headed out for a tailgate lunch. I used my Jetboil to heat it via the boil-in-bag (BIB) method.
IMG_6314.JPG
IMG_6315.JPG
After heating for about ten minutes, I plated it on a UGR tray with appropriate Russian side dishes and beverages.
IMG_6316.JPG
Here is the entree ready for consumption.
IMG_6317.JPG
I found it very similar to the flexible tin kasha found in the IRPs, but in my opinion, not quite as good as the flexible tin military ones. It was fairly bland, and the beef in the dish was nothing like the sizable chunks shown on the packaging (not that marketing photos are ever accurate, haha). The buckwheat was cooked well, and there was a decent amount of ground beef (more than the military flexible tins). There was also a bay leaf.

Overall, while I still would rate the IRP flexible tin kasha better, this was still a decent entree. It definitely needed a little salt and pepper, but I would have it again. At 250 grams, it was plenty to eat, and kept me going for quite awhile afterwards.

Thanks for reading!

sourwes
eBay name: sourwes

Re: Russian Commercial Retort Pouch Kasha

Post by sourwes » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:53 pm

Great review, thanks for sharing! I love the kasha :D
it is what it is....

Conrad
eBay name: ConradsAutoParts

Re: Russian Commercial Retort Pouch Kasha

Post by Conrad » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:17 pm

Interesting to see