2012 A Pack Spaghetti with Italian style meat sauce

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
Basementcat

2012 A Pack Spaghetti with Italian style meat sauce

Post by Basementcat » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:53 am

Hey all back again with another review. This time a civilian offering. A 2012 "A pack" spaghetti with Italian style meat sauce. Let's get into it.
Contents:
Spaghetti entree
Fruit Flavored candies (skittles)
Fit bar
Apple jelly
Crackers
Toasted corn kernels
Lemonade drink mix
Acc packet with salt water for frh

The package. Thin clear wrapped.

Here it is all layed out
Nothing special. Nothing weird. Let's get it heated and plated up. (thanks to Steve 1989 for the awesome mess tray. Love this thing. Just need a matching cup now)

I decided to go with the spaghetti, corn nuts, fig bars, and lemonade drink for lunch. On to the taste.

Spaghetti with Italian style meat sauce tasted pretty much like any canned spaghetti product I've ever had. If you've ever had spaghetti o's or something similar then you've had this before. Not bland but not overly tasty either. As always I tasted this prior to using any seasoning included. Then also tasted after seasoning additions from the included accessories. With the additions of the salt, pepper and the "papas perfect" spice blend the flavor was moderately better but not a massive improvement. The papas perfect was something I've never had before. A non salt spice blend of carrots, bell pepper, onion and garlic. Overall I'd give this entree a b- to a b. Good flavor. I'd eat it again.

Next I tried the corn nuts and fig bars

The toasted corn kernels (what I'm calling corn nuts) were pretty standard. If you've ever had plain corn nuts that's exactly what's these are. Corn kernels toasted and salted. Pretty good but nothing out of the ordinary.

The fig bars which are akin to fig newtons were pretty dry. They tasted good but they definitely lacked the moisture of the name brand. Maybe they just sat too long or maybe they were always dry. No idea.

Lastly for lunch I had the lemonade beverage. Again I put it into a water bottle. This time not because I had no clean dishes but that was the instructions on the packet.

This was SUPER sweet. Massive amount of sugar. Very little acidity like a normal lemonade would have. Pretty alright. Not great.

I didn't get a seperate picture of the accessory pack but it included
Spoke
Salt
Pepper
Papas perfect
Moist towelette
Peppermint
Lemonade drink packet

Later that evening as a bedtime snack my wife and I shared the apple jelly and crackers.

This was excellent. I've heard people describe this as tasting like honey. It does. It tasted very much like honey. The frackers of course were the standard affair. Lightly salted crackers. Together though it was amazing. It tasted like a piece of buttered toast with honey. Loved it.

I didn't try the skittles at all. I mean I've had them before and honestly I'm not a fan of tasting the rainbow. They just don't do it for me so I gave them to the wife.

I'd say this was an excellent meal for a civilian offering. It did feature mostly military additions though as far as I could tell. Would be a welcome and filling meal in the field.

alohakid
eBay name: admirals72

Re: 2012 A Pack Spaghetti with Italian style meat sauce

Post by alohakid » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:15 am

Basementcat - Thanks for the review and the great quality pics!

mahalo

Basementcat

Post by Basementcat » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:53 pm

alohakid wrote:Basementcat - Thanks for the review and the great quality pics!

mahalo
Thanks for the compliment brother. Appreciate it greatly.

sourwes
eBay name: sourwes

Post by sourwes » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:38 pm

Great review, thanks for sharing! These APacks are the little secret of the ration world. They are made by ameriqual(largest producer of MREs for the govt) under contract for FEMA and contain actual MRE components. We had some major flooding here last yr and the govt unleashed a bunch of cases on WV. I was able to score 10 cases(12 meals per case) at $20 a case from a yard sale. 10/17 Best Buy dates but re-certified by FEMA for another 5 yrs. only 6 menus per case, but the cookies are awesome and huge!
it is what it is....

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:09 am

Thanks for sharing yet another fantastic review with such great pictures, basementcat! :)
I may or may not still have a matching cup for your tray - if I do and it turns up, it's all yours.

And sourwes, wow what a score there @ only $20 each per case! You can't beat that!

alohakid
eBay name: admirals72

Post by alohakid » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:02 am

sourwes wrote:Great review, thanks for sharing! These APacks are the little secret of the ration world. They are made by ameriqual(largest producer of MREs for the govt) under contract for FEMA and contain actual MRE components. We had some major flooding here last yr and the govt unleashed a bunch of cases on WV. I was able to score 10 cases(12 meals per case) at $20 a case from a yard sale. 10/17 Best Buy dates but re-certified by FEMA for another 5 yrs. only 6 menus per case, but the cookies are awesome and huge!
sourwes - WOW 10 cases, congrats!