I need you help: MRE HALAL

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
Gironemo

I need you help: MRE HALAL

Post by Gironemo » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:35 pm

Hi guys!
Help me please.
I'm interested in information about MRE HALAL. Where can I read about it?
I've learned from this forum that it is civil version. Does it supplied as a humanitarian aid to THe Middle East?
What is the the pack made of (pudding, hot meal)? The shelf life of the main dish is unclear - I've not found any info on the pack.
Snaks, unfortunately, had expired. Is it dangerous to eat them after the expiry date?

Thank you in advance and sorry if there were answers at the forum that I've not found.
Attachments
P2060032.JPG

housil

Re: I need you help: MRE HALAL

Post by housil » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:57 am

Gironemo wrote:Hi guys!

I'm interested in information about MRE HALAL. Where can I read about it?
Here, just go to the main page:
http://www.mreinfo.com/other-us-rations/
Gironemo wrote: Is it dangerous to eat them after the expiry date?
Give it a try and let us know :mrgreen:
Check the FRH or the card board boxes for a pack date. But even when this is there, you don´t know about the storage conditions. Open them and smell/look first, if they seems OK, lick it and wait if you get a numb tongue.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:32 am

housil wrote: Here, just go to the main page:
http://www.mreinfo.com/other-us-rations/
Unfortunately, that's not going to help in this case. If I have any information about the Kosher/Halal MREs on the main site, it's for the older My-Own-Meal-based rations and not the newer versions that replaced them.

I have seen some good reviews about the newer ones. I search here in the forums and/or YouTube would probably provide a lot of hits.

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:54 pm

I'm not an expert on Halal rations by any means, but what I've found with Halal rations is this:

The main entree and some sides (like the pudding for example) are in the standard MRE tri-laminate packaging, which lends itself to a long shelf life like any other MRE component. The other side items (snack mix, nuts, etc.) are in a thinner packaging that is not the tri-laminate that helps shelf life. These items tend to go "bad" or rancid first. That being said, it doesn't necessarily mean they will be dangerous, they just may go rancid and taste bad. If it smells OK, take a small bite and hold it on your tongue for a minute. If you don't notice anything unusual, it's likely still fine.

Hope this helps!

noderaser
eBay name: noderaser

Post by noderaser » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:18 pm

The one you have in the picture is the real deal. They definitely don't have as long of a shelf life, possibly due to less preservatives or something else with the Halal requirements? The stuff in the silver mylar pouches does seem to go stale fairly quickly, I finished one that was just over a year old, and the crunchy bits (Gardettos-style snack mix) were starting to get a little chewy.
I'm using my computer's spare resources to help find cures for diseases, analyze astronomical data, render 3D animations, simulate new materials and run climate models--what is your computer doing? http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ Or ask me for help!

Gironemo

Post by Gironemo » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:50 am

Thank you very much for your answer guys!
Is this MRE for civil use or it is supplied for Muslim soldiers?

housil

Post by housil » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:20 am

Gironemo wrote: Is this MRE for civil use or it is supplied for Muslim soldiers?
Usually they are in use for soldiers.
The only civilian used ones I know are the HDRs
HDR1.jpg

noderaser
eBay name: noderaser

Post by noderaser » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:07 pm

The US military has Halal and Kosher MREs for military use, as there are soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines of all persuasions. I had a whole case of these a while back:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5464&hilit=halal

rattattoo did a review on one:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5830&hilit=halal
I'm using my computer's spare resources to help find cures for diseases, analyze astronomical data, render 3D animations, simulate new materials and run climate models--what is your computer doing? http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ Or ask me for help!

Gironemo

Post by Gironemo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:43 pm

Thank you noderaser!