2016 Backpacker's Pantry Lasagna

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
SentientTootsieRoll

2016 Backpacker's Pantry Lasagna

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:45 pm

Yesterday during my lunch hour, I decided to take a trip to a nearby sports door. The place I went to was "Sportsman's Warehouse", which recently opened here after a different location in my city closed down shortly after the recession. I decided to get some items for my escape/hiking backpack and stumbled upon dehydrated food. I'm always impressed by this stuff, so I decided to get some. I've had a lot of the food produced by Mountain House, but there was one brand I had not tried and that was Backpacker's Pantry. The menu items sounded tempting, so I decided to pick a few up. Here's the lasagna menu.
20161215_100504.jpg
20161215_100513.jpg
The directions said to add 2-1/4 cups of water. I didn't have much of a way to boil water here in the office, I just heated some water in a coffee maker, and poured what I thought would be a good amount. Here's a pic of it shortly after pouring the water in. Looks a bit soupy.
20161215_100700.jpg
After letting it set for about 10 minutes...
20161215_101922.jpg
Now, that looks awesome! Let's dig in!

Here's a close up shot of what you'll get.
20161215_102025.jpg
All in all, I'm pretty impressed! The noodles were of perfect consistency, the lasagna had a nice balance of tomato sauce, cheese and Italian spices and became a very enjoyable lunch. I will be buying more of this stuff, but next time I will have to try the Mountain House Lasagna as I've not had theirs yet.

Westview
eBay name: robichj

Re: 2016 Backpacker's Pantry Lasagna

Post by Westview » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:11 pm

Nice review! I noticed it's a 2 serving bag which is great when you're really hungry. I tried the Mountain House lasagne back in the summer and it tasted very good. It had a very nice oregano and basil taste, it was not bland at all. But for a spicy kick, I added a little Sriracha hot sauce.

Here's a link to a very good lasagna comparison video between Mountain House and Backpacker's Pantry.