Commercial MRE Review - Sopakco / Crown Points' Sure Pak 12

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
bejean
inactive

Commercial MRE Review - Sopakco / Crown Points' Sure Pak 12

Post by bejean » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:36 pm

Hi guys i managed to buy 3 meals to try at a local military store here in Singapore at the costly price of S$12.00 or US$7.30 based on prevailing F/X rates of US$1.00 = S$1.62.

Selected and bought the following entrees and here is their reviews along with some of the other packaged foods :

1. Beef with Mushrooms - Entree

Ok, nicely sized meaty chunk in a brown gravy with generous shavings of mushrooms of the button variety. This is a re-constituted chunk of meat mind u, no unlike SPAM mind u. It has some grilled lines to it as mentioned on the package as "grilled". Taste is bland but some tabasco sauce added should make it much better. Fuck this, they only include pepper and sauce as seasoning...

2. Cheese Tortellini - Entree

Nice pasty in cavatelli sauce. portion is good, taste is bland but mind u this is a ok MRE. Pasta can be a tad soft for my missus's liking. Yes she and me sampled the foods together, keke. But i find the pasta fine with enough sauce. Taste is bland of course.

3. Bearded chicken in sauce - Entree

This reminds me of Country Captain's chicken, everyone seems to hates it. Come on...wtf they bother to beard the chicken when it gonna be soggy in that cavatelli sauce? The chicken texture is hard and taste crumbly and bland too.

4. Mexican rice - Side-dish

Has a nice flavour to it though might be a little bit overpowering in the smell. Nice moist brown looking rice but i wish more ingredients could be added to the rice. Not as bland as the mentioned entrees, this is good enough on it own, heated of course. Very small quantity even for a side-dish, this makes me ask for more. This nice dish could even qualify as a excellent entree is more ingredients and larger quantity of rice please. Yum.

5. Wheat Snack Bread + Grape Jam - Meal Makers

Alright, not and never will be a fan of this thingy. Hopefully one day i could get to taste those much vaunted spanish long life breads. Taste of this is crumbly and do not spread well with the Grape Jam which is too watery imho. Tip, drain some of the water in the Jam packet before applying the Jam into the bread and hope for the best.

6. Sports Chocolate Bar - Meal Makers

Ok as with plenty of non-melting type of chocolate i shouldn't have too much complaints. Nice chewy texture but a little bland also, i hope it can be sweeter and peharps some crushed almonds or nuts sprinked would do great.

7. Orange Beverage Mix - Meal Makers

Similar to Tang's orange but not as tasty. Lacking the burst of fresh orange taste perharps ? I suppose they used a cheaper alternative huh? Don't bother following with the serving instruction of mixing this packet to only 1/2 cup of combat mug. It will be too sweet, i used a small flagon for this and it taste alright. 500mil or so.

8. Instant Coffee / Non Diary Cream / Sugar

Do not bother to try this. Emptied the above contents to a coffee mug and expected this to help wash down the MRE meal along with a nice cigarette. One sip and i dumped the entire mug down the sink. Its tasteless and it is like brown lifeless sewage water. You call this coffee? Even a 3 in 1 packet of Nescafe would taste so much better.

Anyway above is my review and too bad i didn't zap them with me camera but i would do so next time when i try other rations. Keeping u guys posted. :P

P.S: Just my opinions only...

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:56 pm

Thanks for the reviews, bejean. I know what you mean about the Sure-Pak MREs not containins tobasco. In my opinion, tobasco should be in every MRE. I'd even recommend *more* tobasco than that one little bottle. I know they're making tobasco in little packets (like ketchup at mcdonald's) - why not throw a few of those packets in with every MRE?

Mirage

Yuck!

Post by Mirage » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:56 pm

I can't believe you went for the "bearded chicken", I prefer mine all nicely shaved! :P

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:13 pm

You know, Mirage, that maybe have just been a typo on bejean's part, but I thought it was oddly appropriate to MREs.

I mean, what else could possibly strike more terror into a soldier's heart than getting the dreaded "Bearded Chicken" MRE? :-)

Mirage

Post by Mirage » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:39 pm

kman, I thought it was probably a typo, but it brought a humorous aspect to the meal. :P

"Sargeant Carter, there's not much hair in my bearded chicken!"

bejean
inactive

Post by bejean » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:29 am

hehe...bastards...this forum suddenly sprung to life eh... :shock: :D

Mirage

One Typo

Post by Mirage » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:48 am

Amazing, how one misplaced letter can bring so much humor to a forum! :P

bejean
inactive

Post by bejean » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:34 am

Another mini review!!

Macaroni and cheese (mexican style) - sidedish

Hey, this taste exactly like those in supermarkets abeit with a nice mexican flavour. Quantity is alright, enough cheese and pasta is just the right texture. I like it. :D

Was just finishing this packet (warmed with microwave for 1.30mins), great snack! :D