2008 APack Chx and noodles

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
sourwes
eBay name: sourwes

2008 APack Chx and noodles

Post by sourwes » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:08 pm

Greetings all...This is the 2nd review from a 2008 case of Ameriqual APack MREs I found on the back of a shelf in my "ready room" The meal is Chx and noodles:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Meal contained the following:
Home style Chx and vegetables
Crackers and peanut butter
Oatmeal cookie
Vanilla dairy shake
M&Ms
Lemonade drink mix
Ration heater,spoon, wet nap, and pepper packet

The entree was heated using an alcohol jet stove made from recycled aluminum cans in a half canteen cup of water
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Chx and noodles still tasted very good with nice chunks of meat with peas and carrots. The noodles have softened considerably over time, but not mush. The peanut butter and crackers were excellent, as was the oatmeal cookie. The M&Ms were still great, a lot better than I expected. The vanilla dairy shake was still really good considering dairy items in MREs tend to spoil faster that most other items. I gave it the smell, taste, and wait test. No problems. Anyone whose consumed a spoiled MRE dairy item, will never forget it lol!
image.jpeg
The lemonade mix was disappointing. "Artificial " type lemon taste with a strong aftertaste.
Overall I give this meal an excellent rating, even though it's 9 yrs old!

4 more menus left to review from this case.....next weeks review SPAGHETTI
Thx for checking out my review!
it is what it is....

RockyRaab

Re: 2008 APack Chx and noodles

Post by RockyRaab » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:29 pm

I assume that "CHx" means chicken. The genuine MRE and TOTM Chicken and Noodles meal is one of my favorites. It's actually pretty close to home cooking. I don't think the Ameriqual version is as good as the Wornick or SOPAKCO (which is the best) though.

Those stoves are fascinating. I bet I've watched a hundred TwoYube videos about them. The Swedish mess kit that includes an alcohol stove is simply awesome.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Oldsmokey

Post by Oldsmokey » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:29 am

What kind of heater is that? I'd like to get one depends on the price tho how much are they?

sourwes
eBay name: sourwes

Post by sourwes » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:15 pm

The heater was a jet alcohol stove made from recycled aluminum cans I bought on eBay for $5 including shipping. It runs on a 1oz shot of denatured alcohol and will boil a canteen cup of water in less than 3 minutes.
it is what it is....

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:45 am

I'm becoming a big fan of alcohol stoves. I still use an Esbit solid fuel stove for heating "flexible can" entrees, but for boiling water or using cookware, I love how alcohol stoves doesn't blacken up your mess gear.

I digress to the review, the chicken and noodles is definitely a pretty good MRE entree, thanks for sharing!