2008 APack Chx and BlackBeans

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
sourwes
eBay name: sourwes

2008 APack Chx and BlackBeans

Post by sourwes » Sun May 15, 2016 9:45 am

Greetings. Pouring down rain here today so I decided to reorganize my ready room. As I was rotating cases of meals I found a case of 2008 APack meals in the back I forgot I still had. Overall I like thes APack meals because I can get a case of 2015 meals for about $35 shipped (about $3 ea).I think I paid $25 for this case in 2010. I can,t even eat at Wendy,s that cheap. The meal was Chicken with Black beans and rice.
image.jpeg
Contents:
Chicken with black beans and rice in a tomato based sauce
Crackers with cheese spread
Fig bars and shortbread cookie
Osmotic Raisins
Raspberry drink mix
Spoon, wet nap,salt and pepper, and napkin
Flameless ration heater with saltwater activation packet
image.jpeg
The entree was heated with the ration heater that worked better than the ones I,ve gotten in a lot of MREs. That saltwater really seems to make a difference . There were nice chunks of firm chicken and the beans still had a nice firm texture. Sauce was tasty, but a little bland for me. Some tobasco fixed that right up.
image.jpeg
The crackers hissed upon opening and we're just fine and the cheese, although darkening slightly over time, was delicious. The fig bars and shortbread cookie were excellent, as good as fresh packed ones. The raspberry drink was as you would expect, with that's fake raspberry tast. But was still ok.

The real disappointment, as ALWAYS, was the osmotic raisins. They were, and always have been, horrible. Imagine dripping wet raisins smelling like they just came out of a chemical bath. They are so bad I wouldn't even put em in the photo. They don,t put osmotic raisins in the issue MREs, why do they continue to use them in these?

Overall the meal was well worth the $2 I paid for it, even being 8 yrs old. I bought 3 cases of 2015s on eBay for $105 about 2 months ago and although the packaging is a lot less durable than issue MREs, and there's only 6 menus. At $3 a meal you can,t go wrong!
it is what it is....

[ex-Member1]

Re: 2008 APack Chx and BlackBeans

Post by [ex-Member1] » Sun May 15, 2016 12:25 pm

Great price, I didn't even know about this company.

sourwes
eBay name: sourwes

Post by sourwes » Sun May 15, 2016 12:34 pm

Ameriqual is one of the three main companies that make MREs for the US government in addition to Sopakco and Wornick.Most of the items in these meals are the exact same items they use in the real MREs.
it is what it is....

housil

Post by housil » Sun May 15, 2016 12:56 pm

Asger wrote:Great price, I didn't even know about this company.
You can read a little bit about them at the front page