Soylent 2.0

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
noderaser
eBay name: noderaser

Re: Soylent 2.0

Post by noderaser » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:52 pm

It tastes like what you'd have, if you let some Cheerios completely disintegrate into milk. I get how people are excited about this product, being an efficient food packed with everything you need in a few servings per day, and not taking a lot of resources to produce. But, there has to be a better, more flavorful way. I could barely choke down half a bottle, although I didn't have any of the sickness issues some people reported. I'm also kind of surprised that they haven't come up with a gluten-free version, since that's a pretty big thing now.

I know a few people who are just wired to eat food as they need it for fuel--not because they enjoy it. Of course, these people are also rail-thin workaholics; while I do consider myself to have a decent work ethic, I am a strong proponent of taking a decent lunch away from your desk and using the time to unwind and relax a bit. If you find that meals are an inconvenience, you'll probably find a use for this stuff. I will probably donate what's left of the case to the food bank.

If anyone wants a bottle or to, PM me and I'll send you one.
I'm using my computer's spare resources to help find cures for diseases, analyze astronomical data, render 3D animations, simulate new materials and run climate models--what is your computer doing? http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ Or ask me for help!

Eistee
eBay name: mjulian-de

Post by Eistee » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:50 pm

I would love to try it, would you be able to send one to germany?

noderaser

Post by noderaser » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:03 pm

Don't know how it would fare through customs and the like, but I'd be willing to give it a go. I'm certainly not drinking the rest of them.
I'm using my computer's spare resources to help find cures for diseases, analyze astronomical data, render 3D animations, simulate new materials and run climate models--what is your computer doing? http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ Or ask me for help!

Eistee

Post by Eistee » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:37 pm

Haha ok, will pm you

ancienttyrael
eBay name: apiontek11

Post by ancienttyrael » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:23 pm

I use Soylent 1.5 which is just the powdered mixes and I'm neutral on taste. I prefer ordering the powder since its less waste and I can use other liquids like chocolate milk to make it go down easier. You need a good blender though.

My current favorite is tossing a couple tablespoons of peanut butter powder into my mix, insanely delicious.

housil

Post by housil » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:10 pm

Eistee wrote:I would love to try it, would you be able to send one to germany?
I brought a bottle from Doswell along ;-)

Eistee

Post by Eistee » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:32 am

housil wrote:
Eistee wrote:I would love to try it, would you be able to send one to germany?
I brought a bottle from Doswell along ;-)
You are my Hero housil, when you are finished with it , can you send me the rest?

ancienttyrael
eBay name: apiontek11

Post by ancienttyrael » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:10 pm

So an update to the solyent bars and powder. Looks like the algae ingredients were the cause of all the gut issues. They will be moving back to the soy ingredients next year.

ashrose3713

Post by ashrose3713 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:35 am

Just to chime in on a few things.
A) Nope, nope, nope. Seen the movie, it's people.
B) Although it is still in debate. Some studies have shown that large amounts of soy, and other estrogen producing products, can have adverse effects on males. (Ie. Low testosterone levels, lower libido, getting fuller breast.)
C) Why would anyone want to live on a liquid diet that isn't medically necessary?!?

noderaser

Post by noderaser » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:16 am

I still have 7 bottles left, if anyone wants them...