MT House F/D biscuit and gravy

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
Norton

MT House F/D biscuit and gravy

Post by Norton » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:55 pm

I tried this new MT House Biscuit/Gravy with sausage crumbles entree on my last river camping trip.
Enjoy the MRE for field and camping breakfast, so I wanted to try this meal for a future hiking trip
IMG_0781 (640x480).jpg
bag
Opened the bag and looks like croutons
IMG_0787.JPG
opened
It called for 1 3/4 cup of water for normal and 1 1/2 cup for thicker
So I used 1 1/2 and let it sit for 12 minutes
Took a taste and thought it was in somewhat bland, so I remembered this packet
IMG_0788 (640x480).jpg
Russian Pepper
Russian pepper, found it was a very strong blend. You could smell it the second the pack was open
IMG_0789.JPG
dense thick black pepper great smell
This greatly improved the flavor
River camping 2016 Sausage Gravy 3 (640x360).jpg
prepared
The pork crumbles texture after about 15 total time was close to MRE pork patty after re- hydration, the biscuits texture were soft enough that I need to add the Russian hard crackers for added texture. The pork flavor was a cross between precooked Jimmy Dean link sausage and the old pork patty. The gravy was close to typical canned or gravy from a jar. Tabasco or strong pepper is needed to make it close to kitchen flavor the gravy was creamy and you could taste the sausage bits. Also this could be used with the MRE snack bread or over MRE Hash browns and bacon for varity and more calories This meal fills you up fairly quick, combined witha hot drink and some sort granola or fruit and nut bar bar you would be full for hours. Or at least until 10.00 am
For hiking or a time when you want to keep weight down this is a good breakfast.
IMG_0752.JPG
heading out

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Re: MT House F/D biscuit and gravy

Post by parafireboy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:08 pm

Good review and pics Norton. I've always liked this MH meal, and it's hard to beat B&G when you're out in the boonies! :D

rabidwolf

Post by rabidwolf » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:34 pm

I have one of those MT House packs. Just haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Have you ever tried the pork sausage w/ gravy MRE entree?

housil

Post by housil » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:50 am

Thx for the review and your pictures.

Norton

Post by Norton » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:35 pm

rabidwolf wrote:I have one of those MT House packs. Just haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Have you ever tried the pork sausage w/ gravy MRE entree?
Yes Wolf this is one of my favorite meals and they are getting scarce. The MRE Pork Sausage gravy over the heated MRE biscuit or snack bread is a fine breakfast compared to other military field breakfast items. Head and shoulders above Military pouch omelets. Combined with hash brown and bacon or the various cheese pouches it is very versatile

Webbdad

Post by Webbdad » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:51 am

FYI..... My local Wally World just put this flavor on closeout for $2. I bought what few they had available. May be worth the effort to check your local store.

Paul Buikema
eBay name: jimmyq3

Post by Paul Buikema » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:00 pm

$2 is a steal! I remember my favourite flavour, Buffalo chicken, they discontinued it a couple years ago sadly.