Randomly Packed MRE's?? Need answers!

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
Jmsjr7794

Randomly Packed MRE's?? Need answers!

Post by Jmsjr7794 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:00 am

So a couple of weeks ago I went to my local Army Navy store to purchase some MRE's (I'm in culinary school, and they simply fascinate me). I bought a couple genuine military ones, and then there were others that were packed in clear bags, they didn't have FRH's and the accessory packs weren't military, but other then that everything in them was genuine military MRE components... They were packaged in what seemed to be Sopacko civilian MRE bags, but they don't match any Sure-Pak menus. For example the one I ate today was Beef Roast with Vegetables, garlic mashed potatoes, crackers, strawberry jam, fruit punch fruit drink, and chocletto candy. These items were all delicious but didn't match any MRE menu, the pack dates on the food and the bag were all late 2015, any idea what these could be?

Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Re: Randomly Packed MRE's?? Need answers!

Post by Ruleryak » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:20 pm

It sounds like they were Sure-Pak Meals. The civilian versions made by SoPakCo come in two case types - Red Sure-Pak logo and text on the box means the meals have heaters, while Black Sure-Pak logo and text on the box means they do not have the heaters in them. The contents wouldn't match any listed MRE in the DoD Operational Rations books as those only cover official military issued rations and not the civilian counterparts.

Oh, welcome to the forums by the way!

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:27 pm

Ruleryak has it all right. The only thing I'd add is that Sopakco seems to pack their civilian MREs with whatever spare MRE parts they have on hand so every production is different. Even if you see a menu listing for the Sure-Pak MREs somewhere online, the chances of that matching anything you receive are pretty slim.

elandil

Post by elandil » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:32 pm

welcome to the forums.

Would love to pick your brain on a few things if you feel like chatting.

Travelowl

Post by Travelowl » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:46 am

Ruleryak wrote:It sounds like they were Sure-Pak Meals. The civilian versions made by SoPakCo come in two case types - Red Sure-Pak logo and text on the box means the meals have heaters, while Black Sure-Pak logo and text on the box means they do not have the heaters in them.
Funny you mention this, I had this issue pop up this past weekend when I took the Sopakco meals on a climbing trip.

Outer bag was late 2011 DoP, as were most components. However some components varied from early 2010 to late 2011. The drink mix was the oldest, as I recall, 0047 stamped down the side of it.

Jmsjr7794

Post by Jmsjr7794 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:14 pm

Thank you all so much! I had a strong feeling they were Sur-Paks, I just got confused when the contents of my bags didn't match any menus listed on Sopackos website

rationtin440

Post by rationtin440 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:19 pm

For some reason this conversation reminds me of the Dutch rations page, how it mentions that there are no "special army products" in the ration----all components can be bought in a store. I wonder if this may be a trend with MREs in the future as a cost saving measure.

housil

Post by housil » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:46 am

rationtin440 wrote:Fthe Dutch rations page, how it mentions that there are no "special army products" in the ration----all components can be bought in a store.
In the dutch rations this was for a certain period (2006-2010) when they needed their rations for their troops in Afghanistan. They replaced their regular rations with commercial items. I have some 2013 rations, they are filled with a mix of commercial and military items now.

rationtin440

Post by rationtin440 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:59 pm

Thanks for the clarification housil! That is one way to get the stuff to the troops in a hurry. I wonder if there is any nutritional difference in commercial vs military ration items.