Wornick #3 Chicken w/ noodles

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
housil

Wornick #3 Chicken w/ noodles

Post by housil » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:33 pm

Thx to Kman, I also got this civilian, Wornick made MRE.

Tonight was MRE-dinner-night at the Housils home so I had this one for the first time.

One drawback to me, you don´t know what "#3" is from the outside
WCN1.jpg
The opened (2008) pouch with entree (chicken with noodles) and a side (spiced apples - yummi!!)
WCN2.jpg
Dark green pouches like back in brown MREs
WCN3.jpg
The heated food on a plate. The entree, like you know it from "regular", military MREs. Just add a dash of salt, but I really like it.
WCN4.jpg
I´m eating now rations for +30 years, but that´s the very first time I had parts of (shreddered) bones in them. Anything similar ever happend to any of you yet?
WCN5.jpg
PB in a silver pouch - never have seen this before too.
WCN6.jpg
I also like their little accessory bag, but I in person would allways prefer that longer MRE spoon to eat right out of the pouch. That one would be OK to et from a mess kit.
WCN7.jpg
Maybe you have noticed they don´t have a FRH, but they are OK too me. No need for "ration stripping" having these.

Paul Buikema
eBay name: jimmyq3

Re: Wornick #3 Chicken w/ noodles

Post by Paul Buikema » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:05 pm

Definitely interesting with the packaging colour and foil for the peanut butter. I haven't had bone bits in an entree.... yet.

Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Post by Ruleryak » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:18 pm

I don't think I've run into that type of civilian MRE before - thanks for the review and pictures Housil :mrgreen: Those fig bars get better with age - probably up until a certain point though. There were no bones in the fig bar, right?

I can't say that I've run into bone fragments in an MRE before - definitely strange.

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:43 am

Thanks for the review! I've never had any bone fragments before. As for the silver peanut butter packaging, the only place I've seen silver packaging in a ration item is in the HDRs. It is possible to have overruns of items that are meant for HDRs that end up being placed in other rations. I've had an MRE before where the entree box was from a HDR, but they put a sticker over it. The only thing that gave it away (besides the presence of a large sticker) was the red, white, and blue from the flag on the end of the box. Thanks for sharing! :D

housil

Post by housil » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:37 am

parafireboy wrote: As for the silver peanut butter packaging, the only place I've seen silver packaging in a ration item is in the HDRs.
You are right, HDRs have (had) them too!

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:04 pm

Awesome review of a now kinda uncommon older version of a Civilian Wornick, Housil! :D

I haven't run into bone yet in any of my MRE entrees, I hope I never do, that seems like it would be dangerous on your teeth! :shock:

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:14 pm

I suspect that they try to screen out bone bits primarily to protect the packaging. There's almost certainly a "milspec" requirements that there be no bones - and if some show up in a batch, that batch gets rejected. But not thrown out! That's where Wornick gets those civvie meals - from the reject pile.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.