SPAM

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
Bobby

SPAM

Post by Bobby » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:55 pm

The new Spam is only 2.5 ounces instead of 3.0 ounces
Attachments
SPAM.jpg

kman
Site Admin

Re: SPAM

Post by kman » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:33 pm

Maybe they're cutting back on that oh-so-delicious coating of gelatinous goodness that encases every can of spam?

Norton

Post by Norton » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:55 pm

I use the regular SPAM retorts camping and they are great

elandil

Post by elandil » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:38 pm

Bobby wrote:The new Spam is only 2.5 ounces instead of 3.0 ounces
I'll have to keep that in mind. Retorts the only way I can buy it right now, my wife's never had spam and still won't try it... :(

But i'm working on her....gimme time. ;)

rattattoo

Post by rattattoo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:58 pm

elandil-- try her on SPAM kabobs.

Pineapple wedgies/large-cut onions/[& pepper] sections alternated with your can SPAM in 1"+ chunks... brush with teriyaki sauce from the market. Cook untill you have some nice grill lines on the pineapple and SPAM chunks.
[it doesn't hurt to microwave your onions and peppers for around 45 seconds... That will help them not be quite as crunchy]

Out of the woods, I frequently toast chunks of SPAM over the flames of my EmberLit FireAnt pocket wood stove, and have them with crackers or chips as a no-cleanup meal.

Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Post by Ruleryak » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:45 pm

Man oh man I love SPAM. Sliced somewhat thin (quarter inch?) and pan fried, then served with maple syrup - that's my go to, but now I'm going to have to try that kebab method :mrgreen:

elandil

Post by elandil » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:36 pm

Ruleryak wrote:Man oh man I love SPAM. Sliced somewhat thin (quarter inch?) and pan fried, then served with maple syrup - that's my go to, but now I'm going to have to try that kebab method :mrgreen:
Yeah, i'm gonna have to give that a go myself. My biggest problem is I gotta make sure it's the low sodium, she's very salt-sensitive. But she loves pineapple and teryaki flavors, so that's gonna be given a try this weekend... Great idea. :D

My favorite way is to slice it thin, pan fry it to get a good crust, then sandwich it in cheese and bread to make a patty melt/grilled cheese hybrid. Good, buttery bread, sharp cheddar, salty spam with that crunchy crust it gets when it's fried just right....Dangit, I gotta quit responding before lunch... :P

rattattoo

Post by rattattoo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:59 pm

...slice it thin, pan fry it to get a good crust, then sandwich it in cheese and bread to make a patty melt...
Don'na forgetz the grilled onions!

rattattoo

Post by rattattoo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:08 pm

I may have already contributed this when we have discussed SPAM™ previously, but it's always worth tossing out...
"SUPPOSEDLY..." one of the reasons that it became so popular with the natives in the South Pacific Islands during and after World War II was that it "supposedly" tasted very close to what they had called "long-pork" in the bad-old-days.

Probably completely apocryphal, but it always brings the smallest of wry smiles to my face when I'm eating SPAM™.

elandil

Post by elandil » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:41 pm

rattattoo wrote:I may have already contributed this when we have discussed SPAM™ previously, but it's always worth tossing out...
"SUPPOSEDLY..." one of the reasons that it became so popular with the natives in the South Pacific Islands during and after World War II was that it "supposedly" tasted very close to what they had called "long-pork" in the bad-old-days.

Probably completely apocryphal, but it always brings the smallest of wry smiles to my face when I'm eating SPAM™.

mmmmm....Long-Pig..... :lol: