MH Long Grain & Wild Rice Pilaf

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
housil

MH Long Grain & Wild Rice Pilaf

Post by housil » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:31 am

Dec 24th I was on duty
IMG_9625.JPG
so I deceided for a special dinner (to me).

A Mountain House Long Grain & Wild Rice Pilaf.
MHP1.jpg
I only knew "pilafs" from MREs before so I was curious.

Inside was the oxygen absorber and some Pamesan cheese, but no marking up to where to fill with the hot water and I hadn´t a measuring cup with me as, I guess, most outdoor guys either.
MHP2.jpg
After reconstitution with ~2 cups of boiling water and let it sit for more than 15 min I got this:
MHP3.jpg
I had to reconstituted it longer than the requested 8 min as I had to add some more water later on. That what I guessed 2 cups would be wasn´t enough and the rice grains were still "hard".

For better display, I pour it on a plate, gave the Parmesan cheese on
MHP4.jpg
So how was it?

The rice grains where still a little bit too solide, even after 15 min of soaking with some extra of boiling water but they were great to me for a ration! After adding some extra salt, it got a nice "rice dish" taste, the cheese made it even better.

I would like to have it again, great job done MH and I had a special Christmas dinner Image

What I had the next day - ->read here<- :wink:

elandil

Re: MH Long Grain & Wild Rice Pilaf

Post by elandil » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:16 am

great pics, glad to see you enjoyed a special christmas dinner being on duty. :D

rattattoo

Re: MH Long Grain & Wild Rice Pilaf

Post by rattattoo » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:54 am

My experience with the Mountain House products is that full-boiling water is absolutely necessary to get them to rehydrate correctly. Extra steeping is also not a bad idea.
These reasons are why I made a Reflectix bag to drop my meal pouch in. Keeps it hotter longer.