OvaEasy egg crystals review

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
elandil

OvaEasy egg crystals review

Post by elandil » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:39 am

Lets face it. Eggs, in freeze-dried or powdered form, are not something everyone rushes out to buy. But, for hiking and other trips where lugging a big cooler is not a feasible option, its about the only choice. That or you spend lots of money on gadgets to hold and keep whole eggs fresh just to get far from civilization and find out they failed by a slimy mess all over your gear. Or worse, a case of "the GIs"... :oops:

Then, i heard of this product from some fellow outdoor enthusiasts. OvaEasy egg crystals. Words like "game-changing" and "revolutionary" were used. This had me intrigued. Then, a visit to a local sporting goods store and a browse thru camp foods turned up a pack. $6 for what the package says is a dozen eggs worth of product.

Well, figured i would try it and see what the hullabaloo was about.

Instructions are pretty straight forward. Mix water with product and wait. Or, to quote the manufacturers website:
MIXING INSTRUCTIONS
Easy to mix, just use 2 parts OvaEasy to 3 parts cold water (by volume).

For example, use 2 tablespoons of OvaEasy and 3 tablespoons of water to make 1 egg
side note, love that its a ratio instead of just a straightforward direction.

So, I gave it a try. 4T crystals, 6T water, stir and wait 5 min, then stir again (tip from a friend, give it time to reconstitute)

Looks good so far, lets see how they cook up.

can you tell we cooked bacon first... :wink:

Not bad, looks like real eggs. But the taste...

1-these are listed as "plain eggs" and even the manuf website recommends keeping salt and pepper handy. They are right. Seasoning is definately needed. That being said...

2-I am impressed. No gritty, no grainy, smooth texture. As my wife is concerned with my health, i alternate real eggs with liquid egg products (EggBeaters or store equivalent) and this honestly could not be distinguished from what I pour out of the carton once it reconstituted.

I heartily give this product a thumbs up. :)

I do plan on using the rest of the package playing with ideas. Such as adding FD diced beef before rehydrating to make a "steak n eggs" style trail breakfast.

Now, one thing I find interesting is they also have a "French Toast mix." it mixes the egg with powdered milk and flavorings. Supposedly all you do is add water, then dip in bread and cook. While i don't see that on a hike, I could see keeping some in the pantry as backup for storm/power outages.

Another interesting note, looking on the web i am also finding reviews where people have used it in baking as well. I find that interesting, and could see where it could spice up, so to speak, trail menus. Hmm...canteen cup brownies...that could work...change this and add that...i'll be back, need to check something out... 8)

cavguy

Re: OvaEasy egg crystals review

Post by cavguy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:31 pm

Nice review, the Military adds a similar packet of egg mix for use in their UGR rations. They have two flavors if I remember right, butter flavored and no flavor added. I think they were made by Mountain House.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:27 am

I was staying at Hotel that had free breakfast..I asked the cook what they used in making the eggs ..She told me it was a crystal mix..They were not bad, I always put the sausage gravy over my eggs..So I am sure it helped the taste...

Norton

Post by Norton » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:06 pm

Great review and to would like to say again, as a hiker this information is very helpful to me.
I like mixing and matching components for breakfast.
This product looks as if it is very versatile.
Combined with FD Mountain House beef crumbles, powdered Cheese or retort single serving SPAM would make a filling breakfast for the camper. US MRE field bread or Biscuit, Civilian Tang or Orange MRE drink you would have it all

I am going to find this and incorporate it into my hiking breakfast menu

Thanks again :D