Fake Early Production LRP

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
steve1989
eBay name: -

Fake Early Production LRP

Post by steve1989 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:41 pm

Hello everyone, I hope you're all doing well - my off season for Rations is almost over, and this is just a little bit of info I wanted to share real quick regardless of being on a little break.

Check this one out, guys. If it looks too good to be true - it probably is. And in this case, I spent $40 bucks (cant remember the dude's SN on Ebay) on what was supposed to be an early Vietnam-Era Canvas Pouch LRP.

It turned out to be a flat out fake - look at the photos here - very interesting they put 1998 DoP Wornick RCW components.. so I didn't really mind!

I still have the Chili W/ Beans in one of my hiking kits ready to one day be eaten (and maybe photographed although I've already done a 1998 DoP RCW Chili W Beans).

Look out folks - older rations can be faked and with this one, someone fooled me - They're real pouches but people refill and seal them with other contents and claim they're original!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-UNUSED-VIETN ... 4aeb8e927e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-UNUSED-VIETN ... 33a434b327

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vietnam-LRP-Lon ... 33a688a6cb

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-UNUSED-VIETN ... 4ae99c1234

Look out for these kinda things folks! Scammers are all over the damn place and in this case,these are folks who sell a product that can be used to fool people.
Real and original pouches or not - these things are getting refilled with non-authentic contents and are being re-sold as real and non-repros.

Just a heads up for anyone who's buying this specific era of LRP's.

-Steve
Attachments
DSCN4843.JPG
DSCN4873.JPG
DSCN4867.JPG
DSCN4868.JPG
DSCN4869.JPG
Last edited by steve1989 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

steve1989

Re: Fake Early Production LRP

Post by steve1989 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:42 pm

P.S.

Since this was not exactly a true Govt. Production Ration (the one that I myself obtained), I put it in the Civilian MRE section since it is essentially a reproduction.

Oh, and here are a couple more pics of this subject - including a case that these packets are supposedly originated. Now these are Government Production, but I still find it odd this is how the empty packets were stored before being filled - still trying to fully solve this one. It's interesting yet also scary to know how easy it can be sometimes to make some realistic repros for cheap, and sell them as the real thing.

Again, be careful when buying old/expensive Rations.. I guess it's never a 100% if it's real.

Almost a relief when you find an old Ration, and it has it's "patina".. at least you have a better chance of it's authenticity (although I again can imagine a clever fake would have the weathered effect as well.. people do it with so many other things when faking, so it is possible with Rations too)
Attachments
78u.JPG
57hg.JPG

housil

Post by housil » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:16 am

I´m sorry you got ripped off

noderaser
eBay name: noderaser

Post by noderaser » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:12 am

I guess I'm surprised, that there is enough of a market for someone to bother making "fake" rations, especially when they're using slightly newer (but still old) components that could have value of their own, versus using new items. I could see someone using new food items to make a look-alike item for history groups, like the WWII "rations" someone posted a while ago. What you describe seems a bit bizarre.
I'm using my computer's spare resources to help find cures for diseases, analyze astronomical data, render 3D animations, simulate new materials and run climate models--what is your computer doing? http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ Or ask me for help!

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:57 pm

Thankyou Housil, I'll just rub some mre poundcake on my wounds to make it better. :wink: :lol:

You're absolutely right, Noderaser! Why would someone use RCW components as the "fake's" contents?
Maybe this was originally packed for the purpose of just being a reproduction like all these common repros out there mainly ww2 Rations like you'd also mentioned.

Or it's a deliberate fake, and considering what canvas lrps go for.. up to $100 each, and the source of real outer pouches to fill, i think its worth the possible heads up that this vertical text on this specific color green canvas pouch lrp, and in this mint of condition, it's possibly a fake. Mainly that condition.. usually these canvas lrps look wrinkled, weathered and awful!

So who knows? Did i have a home job fake/repro or is this part of a bigger picture of fakes? Or just odd lrp tepros with rcw components? All so strange!

If i ever get duped on another ration like this, ill share it on this thread.

Ps please excuse my proofreading, this phone isn't easy to type on like a desktop is!