C-R-t-E on an upgraded shingle

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
rattattoo

C-R-t-E on an upgraded shingle

Post by rattattoo » Thu May 14, 2015 9:48 am

File May 14, 2.jpg
I just recently had three molars extracted from positions on both sides of my jaw, and have been required to limit myself to softer foods while the gums heal over. So I was really delighted to find this legendary substance on sale for $2 the package down at WallyWorld.
I grew up on the stuff. My mum would make it toward the end of the month when the money got tight. She always used the little, clear glass jars of tightly rolled chipped beef, and made her own cream sauce.

This morning, when I opened up the package, I was really pleased to find that it was 'boil-in-bag', and realised that I have found another good camping food. Since this comes frozen, it ought last at least overnight, if not until the second morning. I'll just keep it wrapped up and even somewhat insulated, down inside my pack.

Instead of the traditional toast shingle, this morning I had it over a couple of buttermilk biscuits. The sauce flavour was light and mild, and the chipped beef was quite plentiful, as well as tasty. A couple of grinds of my mixed-pepper** was all I added. I'm definitely going to pick up a couple more packages and toss them in the meat locker down cellar for upcoming trips.

[**pepper mix- black, green, white, "pink" and szechuan... 2:1:1:1:1]

dirtbag

Re: C-R-t-E on an upgraded shingle

Post by dirtbag » Thu May 14, 2015 2:26 pm

Looks good, I love SOS!
Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO

Norton

Post by Norton » Thu May 14, 2015 8:57 pm

:D Thanks for the post
Boil in the bag is always useful to me. I think it's the best way when camp cooking. Very little clean up.
I like the MRE sausage gravy and miss that it no longer being produced. I may have try this for a Canoe camping breakfast on MRE Biscuits and a shot of MRE Jalapeno cheese. By the way I would not eat Mess Hall or 'laddled' from the green steel Murmite Can off the back of the duce SOS... :oops:
The U.S. Army made the stuff to salty
Attachments
COOK.jpg
No offence to former U.S. Army Cooks. But the SOS made me think

rattattoo

Post by rattattoo » Fri May 15, 2015 8:24 am

EpiCenter still has the Sausage Gravy dated 2014....

Norton

Post by Norton » Fri May 15, 2015 5:32 pm

rattattoo wrote:EpiCenter still has the Sausage Gravy dated 2014....
Thanks for the tip, I buy from EpiCenter and they are good people. I have to get more Sausage gravy :D

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Sun May 17, 2015 9:33 am

If you thought the Army version was too salty, you won't like the Stouffer's kind, either. As reviewed in a thread a while ago, all of us who have tried it thought it way too salty. As much as I like SOS, I doubt I'll be buying the Stoufer's kind again.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.