Retort pouch corned beef

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
Norton

Re: Retort pouch corned beef

Post by Norton » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:10 pm

RockyRaab wrote:I think your mistake was the water. If you had drained it off, broken up the potato and then mixed the meat in (after heating it in the pouch) it would have made for a tasty, hearty meal.

Yes I drained some of the water not all of it/ bad mistake om my part
housil wrote: Too bad the ESBIT turns the messkit always this black.
Yes it gets very black, The Swedish pot set and windscreen is painted black, so you never see it

Bypah

Post by Bypah » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:29 pm

Norton...
Corrned beef can be cooked with any potatoes , cabbage, even scrambled with eggs.
Back home when I was a kid mom fixed it with almost anything and was accompanied with white rice. :D
The possibilities are endless.
"Live long and prosper..."

Norton

Post by Norton » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:36 pm

RockyRaab wrote:I think your mistake was the water. If you had drained it off, broken up the potato and then mixed the meat in (after heating it in the pouch) it would have made for a tasty, hearty meal.

Second try on camping trip last night. Boil in the bag style with Carrots and potatoes water 100% drained before mixing vegetables and corned beef.
This meal needs a healthy dose of Tabasco
Attachments
corned beef (1024x768).jpg
Tasted better than it looks

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:30 pm

Looks perfectly fine to me. Hot sauce or hot mustard on corned beef (and hash) is mandatory.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Failsafe77

Post by Failsafe77 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:23 pm

Sorry to hear the meal wasn't the greatest. Libby's makes a pretty good product (only corned beef hash ill eat). I will definitely look out for these! Great post and pics!

Failsafe77

Post by Failsafe77 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:01 pm

I tracked these down today at my local "99c Only" store. Picked up a few since I have always been a fan of Libby's products. Their corned beef hash is my favorite (I believe they got sold out to Hormel?). Anyway I put the pouch in scalding water for 15 min, served it over white rice (to cut the salt and give it some texture) and plated it with fresh avocado. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit! The meat is the exact same product they use in their corned beef hash. Its quite salty, very salty actually, serve it with a starch! Not the greatest out there but for a buck I was more than satisfied!
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Norton

Post by Norton » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:20 am

Good combination there, looks like a field meal from the Philippines or South American. Most Americans eat Corned beef with Potatoes.
If you had some tortilla to spoon that on, it might be good.