Trekking Burger - A Cheeseburger In A Can

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Trekking Burger - A Cheeseburger In A Can

Post by Ruleryak » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:22 am

Well here we go! I ordered several Trekking Burger brand canned cheeseburgers here. I wasn't sure when to eat one, but curiosity got the better of me and I decided to have one tonight.

Here it is, in all it's packaged glory:
ccb.1.JPG
ccb.2.JPG
I got a pot of water up to boiling, popped it in, and cooked it for about 8 or 9 minutes.
ccb.3.JPG
ccb.4.JPG
It could have cooked a few minutes longer, but honestly it was right where I wanted it. Here's the first look out of the can:
ccb.5.JPG
It's not the worst looking burger I've ever seen. I've eaten gas station burgers quite a few times and this wasn't any less appetizing up front than any I've had.
ccb.6.JPG
On the inside, we have what appeared to be a slice of something very much like summer sausage, a mix of pureed pickles/onions and ketchup, and a rather dark looking cheese. The cheese bonded with the bread.
ccb.7.JPG
I ate the whole burger and honestly I would take one of these camping. I think I'll try one cold next just to see how palatable they are unheated. I was expecting something terrible, but it was very comparable (maybe even better) to the Bridgeford shelf stable sandwiches that come with FSRs. It definitely is not a cheeseburger in the traditional sense - just a meat and cheese sandwich with cheeseburger style condiments.
ccb.8.JPG
Thanks for reading! Does anyone know the rough shelf life of one of these?

housil

Re: Trekking Burger - A Cheeseburger In A Can

Post by housil » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:46 am

Thank you for risking your life eating that Burgen-In-A-Can for us :mrgreen:

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:44 pm

Man that's awesome! I think I'll try one someday now considering your review shows it to be as palatable as an fsr sandwich. I actually think these look pretty good! Thanks for sharing your experience with the burger in a can, ruleryak!
*edit. Just noticed that tray you used.. nice choice for a display for the review!

Norton

Post by Norton » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:07 pm

Great review :D thanks posting. I was fascinated by this product and would try it , if I saw it for sale here.

My opinion only, but maybe they could have just left the cheese and condiments off and left the burger dry in can. To be honest the bun does not look that bad being it was in a can. The general look is of a 1960's Frozen 'Stewart Sandwich' that were to be heated in a toaster oven while still in the cellophane wrapper. I think I would not a problem eating on a hike or fishing trip.
After reading your review I would eat it cold if it were summertime meal

gschultz9

Post by gschultz9 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:24 am

Thanks a lot for this review ruleryak! I've been fascinated by the idea of a cheeseburger-in-a-can ever since I saw the video that MREJap did quite a few years back now. I've wanted to try one ever since. Seems like a strange thing to actually WANT to try, but I suppose this is the place to admit to something like that--seeing as how we're pretty much all fans of military rations and all! They always seem to be so hard to find though (and I'm guessing quite expensive to ship to the U.S. too). Maybe one of these days something will present itself...

I agree with Norton too about the cheese and condiments. I mean, I know it's probably part of the whole gimmick/novelty that it's a "complete" burger in a can, but it seems like it might be even more palatable if it were more simple and you could add your own condiments when it's heated up. It would be even better if they had some way of packing a slice of cheese and little packets of ketchup and mustard (etc...) in the can with the burger. Of course that could present a problem when you heat it up and the cheese makes a mess as it melts and the plastic condiment packets melt, but... Okay, I guess I see why they do it like they do!

RC Gusto

Post by RC Gusto » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:56 am

I inadvertently burned the one I reviewed on YT--accidentally let all of the water boil off. Where is your source for purchasing these--I'd like to get a couple more.
Thanks for the review!
--Gusto

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:43 am

I doubt anybody in the US would think of this as a real burger. They don't seem to grasp the concept in Europe, just as we don't really "get" real Chinese or Mexican food. A European "burger" is about as genuine as American "Chow Mein." They're all just shadows of imitation versions.

I remember all too well those Stewart Sandwiches, btw. Way beck in 1969, when I was in pilot training, the squadron had a Snack Bar that featured those awful things. They were there for those days (most days were like this) when you had no time between academics and the flight line to get a proper lunch. You could buy one, heat it up (insufficiently due to time, again) and wolf it down. Many student pilots would see them again if they flew in the first wave, lol!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

[ex-Member1]

Post by [ex-Member1] » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:17 am

RockyRaab wrote:I doubt anybody in the US would think of this as a real burger. They don't seem to grasp the concept in Europe, just as we don't really "get" real Chinese or Mexican food. A European "burger" is about as genuine as American "Chow Mein." They're all just shadows of imitation versions.
I doubt anyone in Europe would think of this as a real burger. How would you even grasp concept of USA burger while making burger in a can?

housil

Post by housil » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:35 pm

RC Gusto wrote: Where is your source for purchasing these--I'd like to get a couple more.
https://www.asmc.com/Camping/Outdoor-ki ... ger-p.html

I tried it once in 2008 - and spit off the first bite... Image

FREMONT

Post by FREMONT » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:08 pm

housil wrote:
RC Gusto wrote: Where is your source for purchasing these--I'd like to get a couple more.
https://www.asmc.com/Camping/Outdoor-ki ... ger-p.html

I tried it once in 2008 - and spit off the first bite... Image
Item is "currently not available" :cry:

They even have kebab in a can- which is currently unavailable :evil:
Good luck and may your rations stay unspoiled!