Finally...Marmite

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
RockyRaab

Finally...Marmite

Post by RockyRaab » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:36 pm

For years now, I've been hearing about Marmite and Vegemite, the yeast extract spreads so popular among our Brit, Oz, and Kiwi friends. Most recently, I saw a video review of a Aussie ration in which was packed a small tube of one or the other. The reviewer overcame his trepidation and tried some - and proclaimed relief that it wasn't too bad. That did it; I had to have some.

Went online and ordered a 125-g jar of Marmite from a shipper in England. It arrived yesterday. This morning, I tried it on buttered toast, as suggested by the many youtube reviews of the stuff I'd seen in the interim between order and arrival. This isn't my image, but it's illustrative.

First impression of the smell was familiar to me as a former home beer brewer: spent yeast - but with richer, "darker" overtones. It has a viscosity about like molasses, and color to match. The flavor?

Well, I have to admit that my first taste was not pleasant. The yeast complexity was fine; what almost made me spit it out was the salt. Holy Hannah. I dearly love Asian fish sauce, which I thought was pretty salty stuff. Doesn't hold a candle to Marmite. This stuff is ten times as salty as fish sauce. I don't use much salt on food, so perhaps I'm now a bit over-sensitive to it. But mein gott is this stuff loaded with it!

The jar is on my shelf. I'll probably try it again as a spread - sparingly! But I'm pretty sure that its major use is going to be in soups, stews, chili, and the like. Also sparingly.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Bypah

Re: Finally...Marmite

Post by Bypah » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:25 am

Yes, is an adquired taste. I have some vegemite tubes from the Aussie CRIM rations I got from one of the members and believe me it has a distinctive flavor. :shock: :mrgreen:
I tried with butter on toast and it tastes ok but the saltiness is way too much. :roll:
cr5m-beppo-16.jpg
"Live long and prosper..."

laughing_man

Post by laughing_man » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:30 am

I ate Marmite contained in the New Zealand ration.
It was slightly salty and delicious. :D
Although I thought that the taste resembled Japanese Miso, it is a taste simpler than Miso...
Attachments
marmite.jpg
Marmite of the NZ ration

housil

Post by housil » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:31 am

I haven´t dare to try my one yet... :oops:

Name_not_found

Post by Name_not_found » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:27 am

NIce review, it is different haha

I get a distinct taste of sunflower seed concentrate, other times mystery yeasty salty flavor.

For Americans I encourage you to use it like bullion, a little in a cup of noodles/soup/broth, or some included for a marinade for meat. It very good like that for people not used to tar out the tube
Ration Reviews: USA, Australia, Canada, Japan, Italy, Germany, France, China, Spain, Russia, Lithuania
Wish List: Rations from anywhere I haven't reviewed yet!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnlQPi ... kQXu87uUCA

Norton

Post by Norton » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:49 pm

Yes it does smell somewhat like brewers yeast
I like Marmite and Vegamite on crackers. It is delicious on slices of sharp Cheddar cheese
They say it's good for you and full of vitamin B.
Having a ration tube would be very cool

Bypah

Post by Bypah » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:41 am

The problem is the salt/sodium content. :shock: :roll:
"Live long and prosper..."

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:49 am

I'll be darned; this stuff is starting to grow on me. Have had it several times now, spread very thinly on buttered toast. Tuesday, I had a fried egg and a broiled tomato (my recipe below) and Marmite on buttered ciabatta bread. The salty/yeasty flavor of the Marmite went extremely well with the tomato. My recent annual physical said my blood pressure is normal and my sodium levels are well within limits, so I think I'll be enjoying Marmite a little more often.

"Broiled" Tomato ala Rocky

Cut a deep well into a ripe tomato.
Nestle the tomato on a slice of toast.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Add finely cut fresh sweet basil and a pinch of oregano.
Fill the well with grated cheese of your choice. (My favorite is asiago)
Drizzle the tomato with olive oil, allowing some to drip down onto the toast.

Microwave on high for 45 - 60 seconds, depending on microwave power. Tomato should be hot but still slightly firm, and cheese melted.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Daithi

Post by Daithi » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:54 pm

Marmite has a Love/Hate relationship in the UK. You either love it, or you hate it, there's pretty much no middle ground.

Personally, as a Brit I find a lot of US food stuffs too sweet for my taste, even the bread, so I'd guess Marmite would strike you as too salty.

Rationista

Post by Rationista » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:53 pm

I think it's pretty hard to enjoy Marmite (or Vegemite) without butter. In the Aussie/Kiwi rations you get what is really a very large quantity of Vegemite when the suggested serving for a whole slice of bread is 2 grammes...about what would cover the tip of a table knife. I imagine that the idea must be that some of it is used to season other foods or make a hot drink (not especially appetising IMHO and I love Marmite).

To make perfect Marmite on toast don't spread the Marmite on the buttered toast. Blend the butter and Marmite together, adding the Marmite a little at a time, to give you a buff coloured spread. Then spread that on the toast. The Marmite will be evenly spread...no nasty over concentrated spots....and it's much easier to use the very small amount of Marmite that gives the best (not too salty) result. This works for crackers and sandwiches too...Slightly off the ration track here with the butter....but this is the nicest way to enjoy Marmite. Remember, less is definitely more with this stuff!! :wink: