Bullet Meal - A Finnish Developed ration bar

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
pikkuhukka

Bullet Meal - A Finnish Developed ration bar

Post by pikkuhukka » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:49 pm

This is not a review, more of a "did you know this exists" :)
(i can later make a review tho if you people want)

There is this finnish made ration bar that has been developed by a finnish guy who was fed-up with the fact that there was no portable meal which you could scarf down in a moments notice and would have a long shelf-life, so, he developed one and it is commercially available in finland for 4euros per pop :)

Heres a link: http://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/b ... 400/22433/

(varusteleka is the main distributor of that thing)

So, basically when we break it down, its a meal bar, has 2 years (and more) shelf life and holy poo, it actually tastes like real food, has good nutrients and so on :)

PICTURES!

promo pictures, i know :)

Also there is version which is kind of energy bar, contains the same stuff energy drinks does but ... it tastes horrible :D

housil

Re: Bullet Meal - A Finnish Developed ration bar

Post by housil » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:49 pm

Great find.

pikkuhukka

Post by pikkuhukka » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:21 pm

i have actually known abut this for a few years already and i have the energy version of thing in my dark and room temperature place :)

noderaser
eBay name: noderaser

Post by noderaser » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:35 am

Apparently, they're popular with the BDSM crowd? (See video on page linked)
I'm using my computer's spare resources to help find cures for diseases, analyze astronomical data, render 3D animations, simulate new materials and run climate models--what is your computer doing? http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ Or ask me for help!

pikkuhukka

Post by pikkuhukka » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:12 am

noderaser wrote:Apparently, they're popular with the BDSM crowd? (See video on page linked)
lol, yeah, no idea about that, but, varusteleka has a very.. interesting sense of humor, bear with it :)

also and yes, varusteleka does ship those things internationally incase you are interested in trying it out o.O

Norton

Post by Norton » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:52 pm

Very interesting, they have a great web page explaining their product. I would be open to try one of these on a long hike.
Also on the same website I found some other canned Made in Finland products that might be desirable for winter canoe trips.
Many American hunters, shooters and campers hold Finish products in high regard.

SugarLord

Post by SugarLord » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:24 am

I was very intrigued by these. There is a definite dearth of hand bar meals of a savoury variety, which is odd as they seem very popular - i.e. pasties and pies, burritos, etc etc.

So I went to the linked site and bought a box of the chilli beef ones. They arrived here in the UK within a few days. Good packaging too.

My first impression was that they seemed a bit small, roughly 10cm X 5cm (4inch X 2.25inches) - a little bigger than a weetabix - they are very dense and hard - texture like moist pumpernickel or like a cold burger.

But it is quite substantial when eaten - each mouthful takes a LOT of chewing - plenty of fibre in here, certainly need a set of Gnashers to eat these. I found myself slowing down and taking longer over the bites as I ate, it really does seem to fill you up. After the one bar I have no hunger pangs or urge to eat anything else for a while (I did drink plenty of water with it though, it doesn't taste salty at all, but the salt content for one bar is 37% of your daily dose!)

The taste? Not bad - very savoury and a bit indistinct - notes of beef jerky as the predominant flavour, but sort of dilute and background. Not really any flavour of Chilli - be ok to have these once in a while, but you'd go mad if that was all there was. I ate it cold as this seems to be the intention - there is no heating instruction at all on the packaging - does anyone know if you can?

I would buy more in other flavours to keep in a BOB, but the wet MRE or Rat Pack food is nicer and more tasty. But as intended, you could stuff a load into a pack and never have to get out the utensil and bowl for days - Job done!

Pics to follow.

Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Post by Ruleryak » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:59 pm

Thanks for the update on these SugarLord :mrgreen: The closest thing I've eaten here in the states has been the Tanka Bar (short for Tatanka, a native name for the American buffalo). I haven't had one in a few years, but I recall enjoying them. The energy bars and hiking foods I seem to find tend to be more carbohyrdate based - finding something meat based that isn't just jerky is rare.

dirtbag

Post by dirtbag » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:22 pm

Back when I was backpacking (1965), there was a "Bacon Bar", basically cooked crumbled bacon formed into a bar.
We added it to the powdered eggs, It helped (some)... :lol:
Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO

gundog4314
eBay name: gundog4314

Post by gundog4314 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:00 pm

I'd be tempted to order a few but the 29 euro shipping cost is a deal breaker for me.