Stouffers SoS

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
RockyRaab

Stouffers SoS

Post by RockyRaab » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:22 pm

As a result of reading recent sausage and gravy MRE reviews, I had a strong yearning for classic chipped beef on toast. Yup, I had a yen for SoS. Stouffers offers it in the frozen food section of the market, and I got some. Had it this morning. I was so eager to eat it that I failed to take a picture, but here's one from the internet that looks just like what I'm now happily digesting:

It comes in a boil-in bag and can also be microwaved. I used the boiling water method. Fifteen minutes later, I made the toast and fried an egg as a go-along. The chipped beef smelled great and except for being a bit salty, was exactly like my Mom used to make more than a half-century ago. In short, it was fabulous. The bag contains more than enough to cover four slices of toast, easily serving two with large portions. I saved half for tomorrow. I'll likely add either a pinch of cayenne or a dash of hot sauce next time. But right out of the bag, it's tasty, hearty, and chock full of nostalgia. Try some.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

rabidwolf

Re: Stouffers SoS

Post by rabidwolf » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:55 am

RockyRaab: Nice review, glad you got to try it. There is quite a bit of product in that bag. I've boiled it and microwaved it. The boiling method works better if you have the time.

RockyRaab

Re: Stouffers SoS

Post by RockyRaab » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:28 pm

Thank you. Funny thing: It tasted saltier the second time. I'm not sure if I had simply overlooked the saltiness in my eagerness to have it the first day, or whether somehow the saltiness intensified being thawed for 24 hours. If given blind tasting, I would have sworn it was two different products. Hmmmmmm.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.