New Hormel Completes Good Mornings

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
rationtin440

Re: New Hormel Completes Good Mornings

Post by rationtin440 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:55 pm

Those Hormel Completes are very good although I believe they are very high in sodium which, while certainly not an issue in an emergency or even for camping/hiking, so long as you have plenty of water, would probably help to keep them safe to eat long after the expiration date. And yes, they are MUCH better tasting than the MCI chopped ham and eggs or the MRE omelette! ( I know a real difficult feat there, :P :lol: ).

Norton

Post by Norton » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:46 pm

rationtin440 wrote:Those Hormel Completes are very good although I believe they are very high in sodium which, while certainly not an issue in an emergency or even for camping/hiking, so long as you have plenty of water, would probably help to keep them safe to eat long after the expiration date. And yes, they are MUCH better tasting than the MCI chopped ham and eggs or the MRE omelette! ( I know a real difficult feat there, :P :lol: ).
They are similar to the 1979/81 MCI HAM & EGGS CHOPPED . (But Better :D !) The texture reminded me of them also, just not packed so tight as the MCI product . As for the hated Omelette they are far better.

I am going to try the Spam and Potatoes next time
Last edited by Norton on Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

rattattoo

Post by rattattoo » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:58 am

I'm getting really confused here...
Are we using the pup tent halves as wraps for the Hormel breakfast?
I only picked up the Hormel bacon and eggs meal while I was at Walmart, I didn't buy a pup tent half...

Mod: I moved the postings to ->here<- :oops:

Norton

Post by Norton » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:19 pm

rattattoo wrote:I'm getting really confused here...
Are we using the pup tent halves as wraps for the Hormel breakfast?
I only picked up the Hormel bacon and eggs meal while I was at Walmart, I didn't buy a pup tent half...
Sorry we got off tract, :!: I like old canvas gear :D Goes with with HAM and EGGs CHOPPED

Norton

Post by Norton » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:20 pm

And MCI Fruit cake :wink:

rationtin440

Post by rationtin440 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:43 pm

Well Norton, you gotta figure they'd have come up with something decent like old canvas gear, especially something that was put away nice and damp, to cover the taste of the MCI fruitcake and chopped eggs with ham....... :shock: :P :roll: :mrgreen:

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:25 am

Old thread, I know. But yesterday, while I was in my AF Commissary picking up a few MREs (got a #24 Southwest Beef and a chicken and noodle TOTM, both packed late 2013. Yum!) I noticed a supply of these Hormel Completes meals. Hadn't ever noticed them before, so I picked up four of them at the bargain price of $1.59 each. Two beef and two chicken. They didn't have any breakfast ones.

Had the chicken and dumplings one when I got home. Per directions, I buzzed it for one minute in the portable nuke oven. I added a bit of pepper, no salt. It had lots of diced chicken pieces and dumplings about an inch square, in a light chicken gravy. It was quite tasty, although a bit blander than I would have liked. As to amount, I was still just a bit hungry when I'd finished it, so I had some fruit and cottage cheese. Perfect. I didn't think about taking pictures until I'd already finished it. Sorry.

I look forward to having the beef stew, beef and potatoes, and chicken with potatoes versions. As a very inexpensive, shelf-stable entree, these are quite impressive.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

noderaser
eBay name: noderaser

Post by noderaser » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:55 pm

Although I've not tried all their menu options, IMHO a lot of the "Compleats" meals that come with chicken or turkey have a pretty strong SPAM taste to them, of which I am not a fan.

For a commercial shelf-stable meal, I recommend looking at some of the pasta options from Barilla, I keep a few in my desk for the days when I can't escape for lunch. http://www.barilla.com/italianstyleentrees
I'm using my computer's spare resources to help find cures for diseases, analyze astronomical data, render 3D animations, simulate new materials and run climate models--what is your computer doing? http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ Or ask me for help!

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:30 pm

I did not detect
A Spamish-like taste,
But even if correct
They won't go to waste.

My Hormel Completes
Are stacked on a shelf,
Awaiting their eats
By my wife and myself.

Their goodness in storage
Is their number one trait,
And compared to porridge
They're better than great.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

scottwyatt442
eBay name: scotwyat2

Post by scottwyatt442 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:13 pm

Norton, How long do you vacuum seal the Hormel compleat before you eat it?