Daily Bread dehydrated food - Chicken a la King

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
cutsman

Daily Bread dehydrated food - Chicken a la King

Post by cutsman » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:54 am

Hey guys, this is my first review on here but I've read nearly all of them on here and loved the heck outa them so I figure I'd try and contribute.

I LOVE MREs, but I've been super broke lately. Some bored googling at 4am some morning lead me to some food storage sites. Lo and behold, a few had free samples available. This particular one is from http://www.dailybread.com/ and I cooked it up. Excuse the poor picture quality, I didn't think about doing this until I mangled the bag open.

That's a good amount of protein! Let's take a look at what's inside.

Curiosity got the best of me and I tried a piece of chicken while it was still dry. Pretty tasty. A lot of flavoring clung to it so it was pretty salty, but this stuff isn't meant to be eaten dry. Added one cup of boiling water. About 10 minutes later it looked like this.

This stuff smelled terrific. Tasted just as good too. The chicken had a good flavor to it and the veggies were just as good if not better. The pasta was...well, pasta. It was fine, but I'm not a huge pasta fan to begin with. Regardless, it was a terrific meal and if you had just given it to me without me seeing the bag I wouldn't have any suspicion of it being dehydrated in the first place.

(the mushrooms were by far my favorite part)

All in all, I really enjoyed this and would love to have it again. Uh, 8/10 Rocks or something. Next time there's nothing appealing to eat in the house, I'll review another one of the dehydrated foods I got.

edit: Just remembered - if you're American (or if they have this other places) I instantly thought this reminded me of Chicken Helper. Although, I found this to be a lot tastier than Chicken Helper.
The best possible MRE: 1lb bag of Jalapeño cheese spread.

rationtin440

Re: Daily Bread dehydrated food - Chicken a la King

Post by rationtin440 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:40 pm

Very good review and pics cutsman! The sodium and carbs are pretty high for me on most of that stuff, but since I'd mainly be using it post-shtf, I doubt that my main concerns at that point would be too much sodium and carbs in my diet! This company Daily Bread is really nice to offer samples like that, they are probably the only ones to do so.

cutsman

Post by cutsman » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:19 am

Wise Foods (which I found advertised on the front page) also delivers free samples. Pretty rad of them. That specifically makes me want to buy from them haha. :D
The best possible MRE: 1lb bag of Jalapeño cheese spread.

housil

Post by housil » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:40 pm

Great find, thank for sharing it.