Christmas Dinner in a Can

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
cutsman

Christmas Dinner in a Can

Post by cutsman » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:24 am

Hey guys, long time reader of the site. I've seen Dr.Ashens reviews posted around here before and for Christmas he did something you might find interesting.

I had a Wolfgang Puck's coffee that was similar to this. It was a self heating can but there was a pulltab at the bottom. Pretty neat!
The best possible MRE: 1lb bag of Jalapeño cheese spread.

Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Re: Christmas Dinner in a Can

Post by Ruleryak » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:17 pm

Welcome to the forums! That's very interesting - I've seen the heater meals and whatnot but hadn't seen anything this self-contained on the market until now. Apparently there's also self-heating coffee and a few other products out there.

I don't know if anyone on here ever watched the two-season Japanese series called Cowboy Bebop back in the late 90s, but on that show (which was set well into our future) he occasionally ate self-heating CupNoodle. He'd pull a string or tab or something on the bottom of the cup and it'd heat up. The future got here a bit early so it seems :mrgreen:

dirtbag

Post by dirtbag » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:00 pm

So- Christmas Dinner is Beef Stew???

Looking at his other vids, he exists on stuff from the 'Pound store', long known for their delicacies... :lol:
Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:16 pm

Walmart online store has the Hot can.. The following items Hot Chocolate, Cafe Latte, Cafe Mocha, and the following soups Tomato, Mushroom and Asparagus..They come in packs of 12. About 2.00 dollars a can. The cans are 7.1 ounces..

Bobby

cutsman

Post by cutsman » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:43 pm

Ruleryak wrote:Welcome to the forums! That's very interesting - I've seen the heater meals and whatnot but hadn't seen anything this self-contained on the market until now. Apparently there's also self-heating coffee and a few other products out there.

I don't know if anyone on here ever watched the two-season Japanese series called Cowboy Bebop back in the late 90s, but on that show (which was set well into our future) he occasionally ate self-heating CupNoodle. He'd pull a string or tab or something on the bottom of the cup and it'd heat up. The future got here a bit early so it seems :mrgreen:
Haha yeah! I was thinking about those instant noodles from Bebop as I saw this too.

The only thing that really stands out in my head about that self heating coffee I had is that it kept hemorrhaging warm saltwater whenever I picked it up. That was 5 years ago, they probably got it figured out by now.
The best possible MRE: 1lb bag of Jalapeño cheese spread.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:37 am

I remember the self heating coffee in a can. The last one I had was in 2008, and I got the Mocha version from the local Wal-Mart. Since then I've tried several Wal-Marts and can't find the damn things. I don't know if it wasn't a real popular seller or what. As for the coffee in a self heating can, well, it was okay but after you opened it up it got cold real quick so you had to drink it fast.

BTW, I remember the Cowboy Beebop episodes of the pull tab Cup of Noodles. I thought it was hilarious that they still had cup of noodles in the future. :lol:

Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Post by Ruleryak » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:17 pm

I can't believe I just stumbled on this:
tumblr-lq3ubqw12w1qcuoflo1-500.gif
Sorry it's so fast - wish I knew how to slow it down! It's from the cartoon I mentioned.