Review: Backpacker's Pantry Hawaiian Style Chicken

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
ak70g2

Review: Backpacker's Pantry Hawaiian Style Chicken

Post by ak70g2 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:15 pm

Because I had a very lazy evening, I decided to try some from the goodies TurtleNomad sent me some months before. So, welcome to an east european's review of some strange food.

Entry point: we (eastern europeans) don't use fruit in main meals. Fruits are for sweets, preserves, cakes, etc.

So, as you see (sorry for picture, it was made oblique), is some chicken, rice and pineapple! in some sweetened soy sauce.
IMG_5441.JPG
IMG_5443.JPG

Taste test: after some prolonged waiting (I waited for 20 minutes instead of 13, as specified), I've tried the stuff.

First opinion: it's sweet. I'm not accusomed with sweet main meals.

Second: the rice was perfect, not too firm, not too watery. Not crunchy, it was like sweet pilaf (east european rice dish, rice boiled in chicken stock with some spices).

Third: it's very little chicken meat inside, I'd wish some like Mountain House ratio of meat (I think is 5times bigger than this).

Final opinion: not my first choice of meal, but good enough to fill the belly after a trail day. With mention that in the next morning it's required a very large serving of omelette with ham, along with coffee. :mrgreen:
'cuz hunting ain't catch and release...