Wornick Eversafes, ~200-250 2008

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
Halvor

Wornick Eversafes, ~200-250 2008

Post by Halvor » Thu May 10, 2012 10:28 pm

A note before I get started: I am used to eating Military-issue MREs, and this is my first experience with any civilian MREs- I only got these because they seemed cheap enough to justify a little expirimentation.

I have to say that while I suppose the meals are perfectly serviceable, I couldn't help but feel vaguely dissapointed. The packaging seemed unnecessarily clumsy, and the plastic knife, fork, and spoon provided were surprisingly flimsy. Also, the lack of a moist towelette was regrettable.

As for the actual food, the menu listings were very consistent. Of all 5 menus, the only substituted item was in Menu #6, where a chocolate chip toaster pastry was included instead of the listed strawberry flavor.

However, the amount of food (and accordingly the calorie count) seemed rather low, at least compared to the military ones. Each meal had one entree, one side, either crackers or a toaster pastry, and a packet of candy- either reese's pieces or MnM's. Calorie counts were 1090, 810, 830, 860 and 860.

I don't know how much the Wornick Eversafe has changed in the last four or so years, but the 2008 units are adequate but only just so (in my opinion, that is.).

Just wanted to contribute a little something to the community- I'm sure there's already at least one review on these forums about this, but I just wanted to chip in my two cents.