Not technically "ready-to-eat," but.....

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
rationtin440

Not technically "ready-to-eat," but.....

Post by rationtin440 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:52 pm

Has anyone tried the Coleman "Let's Eat Outside" entrees? I've seen them at Walmart but have not yet tried them. A few things seem to make them way different than "normal" camping food. The pouches don't seem particularly sturdy or even well made, the storage life is not very long from what I've seen stamped on the pouches, and I cannot seem to find any entrees which actually contain meat that was once a living creature!!! :shock: :shock: Anyone's experiences good or bad please share, thanks!!

TurtleNomad

Re: Not technically "ready-to-eat," but.....

Post by TurtleNomad » Fri May 04, 2012 2:09 am

rationtin440 wrote:Has anyone tried the Coleman "Let's Eat Outside" entrees? I've seen them at Walmart but have not yet tried them. A few things seem to make them way different than "normal" camping food. The pouches don't seem particularly sturdy or even well made, the storage life is not very long from what I've seen stamped on the pouches, and I cannot seem to find any entrees which actually contain meat that was once a living creature!!! :shock: :shock: Anyone's experiences good or bad please share, thanks!!
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4473

I tried those not too long after my first batch of AlpineAires, and thought they were generally equal. The shorter bags were less messy to eat out of.

At the time, I checked out their website, and it appeared to be 100% vegetarian. They run some reasonable deals:
http://trailfoods.com/specials.html
Hmmm... that "Enertia sample kit" looks very interesting! 12 meals for $46.

The Amazon price and availability have fluctuated a bunch, but the "kits" do keep returning. Amazon almost always has crazy stupid prices on individual pouches, not just for these, but all freeze dried.

Last fall, I put my remaining three pouches (granola, pudding, and trail mix) into what was supposed to be "short" term storage, and inadvertently haven't had the time to pick them up. When I do, I'll do a review of the now expired items. :)

What's the current Walmart price on these?
I still haven't seen them in the Midwest (they still carry the usual limited MH).
The important thing is the spices.
A man can live on packaged food from here til Judgement Day if he's got enough Marjoram.
- Shephard Book, "Serenity" (the pilot), Firefly

rationtin440

Post by rationtin440 » Fri May 04, 2012 10:03 am

Thanks TurtleNomad! I gotta start going to bed at night, my memory is bad lately! :oops: :cry: Off the top of my head, I don't recall the exact price but I'm thinking a bit over $6/pouch here in Western MA. My guess is that these were never intended as storage foods but were just for camping/"recreational bugging out" (is there such a thing? lol!)during "normal" times. The chili does look a bit appetizing like for when I use up the last of the roadkill skunk and have nothing else :shock: :lol: !

rationtin440

Post by rationtin440 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:31 pm

Boy oh boy was I off! :shock: :oops: Actually the coleman let's eat outside entrees are $4.99 at the Walmart here in Ware, Massachusetts. I'm still not sure I'd wanna try them but the worms and dirt look ok, lol!

TurtleNomad

Post by TurtleNomad » Tue May 08, 2012 8:30 pm

rationtin440 wrote:Boy oh boy was I off! :shock: :oops: Actually the coleman let's eat outside entrees are $4.99 at the Walmart here in Ware, Massachusetts. I'm still not sure I'd wanna try them but the worms and dirt look ok, lol!
Cool! Ok, no more excuses!
Please buy one, try it, and post a review. :) Ideally, one that isn't in that previous thread (please feel free to post it there), for example, the "worms and dirt". :)

It would also be great if you/anyone would post a list of available pouches, and their Walmart prices.

The six pack (plus "free" trail mix) is still available at Amazon, for about $30:

As I've said before, Walmart makes a lot of sense as a place to try just one or two. That's where I picked up my very first freeze dried pouch (Mountain House Chili Mac). :)
The important thing is the spices.
A man can live on packaged food from here til Judgement Day if he's got enough Marjoram.
- Shephard Book, "Serenity" (the pilot), Firefly

rationtin440

Post by rationtin440 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:47 pm

Ok Turtle, you convinced me! :lol: I'll try one this weekend after I get my paycheck. Unfortunately my camera system is on the dis-abled list so it will have to be a detailed description with out pics.