review: AlpineAire Foods "14-Day Portable Food Pantry"

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
ak70g2

Re: review: AlpineAire Foods "14-Day Portable Food Pantry"

Post by ak70g2 » Sun May 06, 2012 3:35 am

BigMark wrote:
#4 in death from heart disease in the EU.. sounds like that food isn't that great for you. :twisted:
Yo, big texan, I still do a 20 miles hike every week, you, americans, shold do the same. You can eat anything, as long as you use your body as is designed to work. So, step away from the vehicle :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
'cuz hunting ain't catch and release...

Bypah

Post by Bypah » Fri May 11, 2012 9:15 am

ak70g2 wrote:
BigMark wrote:
#4 in death from heart disease in the EU.. sounds like that food isn't that great for you. :twisted:
Yo, big texan, I still do a 20 miles hike every week, you, americans, shold do the same. You can eat anything, as long as you use your body as is designed to work. So, step away from the vehicle :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yep. I agree 100% :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
We are used to fast foods and many people to a sedentary lifestyle that eventually makes the body gain pounds,sadly so that is the truth :roll: .That doesn't include that the majority of the foods produced are super processed with things that you have to have a Ph.D in chemistry to pronounce (j/k) :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: and the majority of the population don't consume fresh fruits of veggies.

Let's the arguments begin.... :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
8)
"Live long and prosper..."

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Fri May 11, 2012 3:15 pm

Yes but fast food is so good compared to the stuff thats good for you :D ..I try to walk 3-6 miles a week..

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:49 pm

The first taste test, the Cheese Mac (remember that I'm an East-European, so we have an entirely different food culture):
IMG_5300.JPG
IMG_5299.JPG
Taste test: not very spicy, but a warm... thing to fill your stomach. Not my first choice, but not the last one either.

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:31 am

Tried last night the Mountain Chilli. Despite trying to improve with some sausage pieces, grated cheese and some ketchup, I was unable to eat. Taste was very, very bland, consistency like come dehydrated rubber, so I've ditched to my chickens. They were very enthusiastic in eating it. :|

Sorry, but I'd preffer some Mountain House :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

TurtleNomad

Post by TurtleNomad » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:12 pm

ak70g2 wrote:Tried last night the Mountain Chilli. Despite trying to improve with some sausage pieces, grated cheese and some ketchup, I was unable to eat. Taste was very, very bland, consistency like come dehydrated rubber, so I've ditched to my chickens. They were very enthusiastic in eating it. :|

Sorry, but I'd preffer some Mountain House :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Thanks for the first two of your reviews Adrian! :)

Is "mac & cheese" uncommon in Romania?
Here, there's an entire section of the grocery store with an almost disturbing variety! I'll try to remember to take a picture some time, if you're interested. :)

My favorite mac&cheese is one of Walmart's in-house varieties, and it's good mainly because you're supposed to use real milk and butter, which makes anything better. ;)

In the USA, mac&cheese was traditionally a kid's meal, but it has become a comfort food for adults, too. I should have mentioned that, so you could have enlisted your niece for quality control testing. :)

I'm glad you didn't waste the "mountain chili", and that the chickens enjoyed it! :)
Fair warning: the rice&beans is even more bland.
I definitely recommend you prepare only half (or less) of it as a side dish with any main dish that you would consider eating with either rice and/or beans. Even though the packets are much smaller than MH, they average about 700 calories each.

I definitely recommend the same approach with the mashed potatoes. I got four side dishes out of one pack. The best combo I had was with a Philly cheesesteak sandwich (superb!). :) Also, for the potatoes, I recommend a 1:1 ratio of water, otherwise it's more of a thick soup.

The rest of the varieties are viable as full meals. I'll post up the water ratios, soon, so it's easier to make a partial pack.

I'm looking forward to the rest of your reviews! :)
How about a breakfast entree, next?
The important thing is the spices.
A man can live on packaged food from here til Judgement Day if he's got enough Marjoram.
- Shephard Book, "Serenity" (the pilot), Firefly

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:46 am

I'll go today to a First Aid training camp, where I take the dehidrated food I have and make some tests (I'll have plenty of time). So, I hope to bring some reviews on the next 10 days.
IMG_5329.JPG
That's me and my newest backpack, an Berghaus Vulcan I got from our fellow Cracker. (He's not dead, just got married :D)

Name_not_found

Post by Name_not_found » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:33 am

Have fun at first aid camp, looking forward to the reviews.

Make sure you level your pack out some or your back will not be happy.
strap1.JPG
Shoulder straps must be parallel to the ground
Ration Reviews: USA, Australia, Canada, Japan, Italy, Germany, France, China, Spain, Russia, Lithuania
Wish List: Rations from anywhere I haven't reviewed yet!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnlQPi ... kQXu87uUCA

Stef

Post by Stef » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:08 am

Dammit, Cousin, pull your stomach, puff out your chest, you're a proud soldier of the Romanian Army! 8) :wink: :mrgreen:
In principio erat spamum