review: AlpineAire Foods "14-Day Portable Food Pantry"

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
TurtleNomad

review: AlpineAire Foods "14-Day Portable Food Pantry"

Post by TurtleNomad » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:12 pm

As I mentioned in the buckets "overview" thread, and as you can see in the summary data table, I think the "AlpineAire Foods - 14-Day Portable Food Pantry" is the best overall value of the kits I looked at.

It costs the same as the Wise 60 serving bucket, has over twice the calories, much better quality nutrition (more protein & fiber), and is even more "space efficient" (calories per liter volume).

Like the other two buckets, this is 100% Vegetarian.

The only issue is that the best price is at Sam's Club, which requires membership to buy.
Note that the price difference at most vendors is more than the cost of a Sam's membership.
As I mentioned, a friend with a membership ordered it for me, shipped directly to me, and I mailed him a cheque - the whole process was remarkably easy, with no hassles. I suspect most of us have a friend who has a Sam's membership, so this might be a way to network with potential preppers and/or encourage prepping. :)

Here's a repeat of the bucket side-by-side picture (the middle bucket is the AlpineAire 14-day pantry):

Here's the box it came in (pink virtual spray paint on the shipping labels):
Note the really obvious labelling of the contents. If you're concerned about "OPSEC", this would be an issue. I had it shipped directly to me, but Sam's Club does have a "ship to store" pickup option. If anyone tries that, please share your experience with us. :)

Here's the side view of just the bucket:
Note in particular the well defined "pull tab". I did use a flat blade screwdriver to "pop" it, but that's just because my hands are weak/near-crippled. This was definitely the easiest bucket to open. I also think (pure subjective) that this was the most esthetically pleasing. The easy opening was more important, to me. :)

Let's crack open the bucket, then toss in a can of Mountain Dew "Throwback" for size reference:

I was expecting that the packaging would be extremely no frills, and it definitely is. :) The pouches are much smaller than the AA camping pouches, and only have cooking instructions and "best by" info. The frugal/minimalist part of my brain was smiling warmly, since this was just the minimum necessary info, instead of marketing noise. :)

There's a total of ten varieties, in 42 individual mylar pouches. Each holds enough for 1-4 servings, depending on appetite and whether you eat each without anything else (I've been averaging about three meals each, usually having bread/etc with each).

Note that these bags should not be used to cook in. Theoretically, they (and the other two buckets) expect you to use a pot/whatever and some sort of stove. I decided to go minimalist, and use a Thermos and electric kettle. Pretty soon, I will try Sterno and/or Esbit. The Thermos worked extremely well, saving effort and complexity. :)

And now, detailed pictures of five meal types.
Note that in all cases, I prepared only part of each pouch per meal, and guestimated the amount of water to use. In two cases (Tamale Pie, mashed potatoes), I definitely used the wrong amount of water. As soon as I pick up my kilogram scale, I'll calculate the correct volume ratio for each variety, and put up a chart. I'll also retry the two I goofed. :)

Black Beans & Rice:
pouch beside can of Mountain Dew (for size reference):
closeup of pouch, showing instructions:

inside:

dry, inside a Thermos food jar:
after adding boiling water, sealed, shaken (not stirred), then opened:
sealed, then left for 15 minutes:
on a spoon:

Taste Test:
This was very bland.
Not bad, but beans & rice just aren't particularly exciting. The tomatoes were not noticeable. It was ok, and filling, just not "exciting". This would be fine for the occasional meal, or as a filling lunch.

Mac & Cheese:
pouch closeup:
dry:
spoon:

Taste Test:
Disappointing - very bland.
It wasn't "bad", just very similar to microwave mac&cheese. I had high expectations, which was silly.
I made a second batch with TVP, which definitely improved it. :)
I plan to try it with SPAM, soonish. :)

Pasta Roma:
pouch closeup (note that just a few of the pouches had their printing somewhat mangled, and this was (by far) the worst of them):
dry:
cooked, in Thermos:
spoon:

Taste Test:
Very good!
This was the best of all ten, IMO.
It was like a delicate tomato soup, with rotini, and some tomatoes.

Spaghetti Marinara:
pouch closeup:
dry:
cooked, in Thermos:
spoon (yes, that's a real mushroom!):

Taste Test:
Good!
After the mac&cheese, I had low expectations, but this was better than canned spaghetti.
It wasn't "awesome", but given that it's such a simple dish, was enjoyable. It tasted like something that one had cooked normally, rather than from a package.

Tamale Pie:
pouch closeup:
dry:

in Thermos, after rehydration/cooking for about 15 minutes:
I did not use enough water, and it was much denser than ideal (I'll re-try soon, after I recalculate the correct amount)

spoon:

Taste Test:
It was the spiciest of them all, and was decent.
It was not as good as AA's "Western Tamale Pie with Beef", so I was initially disappointed, but it was still enjoyable.

Next:
I'll post up all three breakfast varieties, probably later today. This post is already too big. :)
The important thing is the spices.
A man can live on packaged food from here til Judgement Day if he's got enough Marjoram.
- Shephard Book, "Serenity" (the pilot), Firefly

ak70g2

Re: review: AlpineAire Foods "14-Day Portable Food Pantry"

Post by ak70g2 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:59 am

Tamale pie? OMG...

But I must be honest, beside turkish/mediteraneean cuisine that I'm accustomed, I don't have a clue about other styles to cook. That's why I enjoy rations so much, I think, it gives me an image of outside world... I didn't traveled too much, and the places I saw wasn't the best toursit destinations... I think our mate Norge will approve me, he was in the same spots at different times.
'cuz hunting ain't catch and release...

TurtleNomad

Post by TurtleNomad » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:11 pm

ak70g2 wrote:Tamale pie? ***...

But I must be honest, beside turkish/mediteraneean cuisine that I'm accustomed, I don't have a clue about other styles to cook. That's why I enjoy rations so much, I think, it gives me an image of outside world... I didn't traveled too much, and the places I saw wasn't the best toursit destinations... I think our mate Norge will approve me, he was in the same spots at different times.
Oh!!!!
Ok, now I have a better idea of what to put in your "care package"!
You want to be at least a bit surprised, food-wise, right? :)

One of the reasons I posted up this review is that it came with (on average) four pouches of each variety, so please feel free to pick any for me to toss in. Or I could add one of every variety. Though if any of the above looks scary, please say so. :)

I really like the compact size of these, compared to regular "backpacking" style freeze dried food packets. When I opened the bucket, it felt like the sort of thing that would be on the space shuttle. :) All business, no marketing crud. For any Firefly fans (one of the best science fiction TV series of all time, prematurely murdered by F*X network), these look a lot like the ration packets in it. Which also makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :)
A man can live on packaged food from here til Judgement Day if he's got enough Marjoram.

TurtleNomad

Post by TurtleNomad » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:20 pm

Here are all three Breakfast varieties, fully rehydrated, instead of the rapid Dew-ation I posted in another thread. :)

Nutrition & Ingredients:
Note that the "blueberries" are about the only thing that is fake. :)
Note also the surprisingly high protein and the nicely low sodium.

Multi-Grain Cereal with Milk :
pouch closeup:
dry:
spoon:

Taste Test:
I had very low expectations, and was pleasantly surprised.
It wasn't "excellent", but had a nice blend of grains, and I genuinely enjoyed eating it. It was filling, and felt "right". One of its "multi" grains was "corn grits", which was my very first experience with them. :)

Blueberry Honey Granola with Milk:
pouch closeup:
dry:
fully rehydrated, on spoon:

Strawberry Honey Granola with Milk:
pouch closeup:
dry:
fully rehydrated, in mug:

Taste Test:
Both granolas were decent. There were no nuts, which was a mild disappointment, but both tasted fine.
Note: both were prepared with room temperature water.

Next:
I'll post up pictures of the rest of the ingredients & nutritional content, plus the two retries, and the "Mountain Chili" (the pouch accidentally fell behind some other items, so I missed it in my first round of taste tests).

dirtbag

Post by dirtbag » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:05 am

Great reviews!

Just so you know, that Tamale Pie you made is, AFAIK, the correct consistency.
My wife, who is a Portagee, makes the same thing, thick!
Not supposed to be soupy!
Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:11 am

TurtleNomad wrote:
ak70g2 wrote:Tamale pie? ***...

Oh!!!!
Ok, now I have a better idea of what to put in your "care package"!
You want to be at least a bit surprised, food-wise, right? :)

One of the reasons I posted up this review is that it came with (on average) four pouches of each variety, so please feel free to pick any for me to toss in. Or I could add one of every variety. Though if any of the above looks scary, please say so. :)

I really like the compact size of these, compared to regular "backpacking" style freeze dried food packets. When I opened the bucket, it felt like the sort of thing that would be on the space shuttle. :) All business, no marketing crud. For any Firefly fans (one of the best science fiction TV series of all time, prematurely murdered by F*X network), these look a lot like the ration packets in it. Which also makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :)
Ma'am, as long is not some kind of sulphuric acid, anything you'll send is welcomed. About that acid, I think I'll find a use for it, I'm chemistry graduate, actually. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

TurtleNomad

Post by TurtleNomad » Thu May 03, 2012 12:15 am

And now, pics from the outside of the bucket of all...
Nutrition & Ingredients:
both granolas and multi-grain cereal:
mountain chilli, black beans & rice:
mashed potatoes, pasta roma:
mac & cheese, tamale pie, spaghetti marinara:

I repeated the same breakfast one (from above), so it's easier to compare them. :)

Noteworthy is how understandable almost all of the ingredients are. :)
I was surprised that two of them had trans fat, albeit less combined than one MRE Biscuit. :)

TurtleNomad

Post by TurtleNomad » Thu May 03, 2012 12:26 am

dirtbag wrote:Great reviews!

Just so you know, that Tamale Pie you made is, AFAIK, the correct consistency.
My wife, who is a Portagee, makes the same thing, thick!
Not supposed to be soupy!
Thanks dirtbag, to both you and your wife! :)

I had just assumed that I did it incorrectly. I'm really "talented" in that way. ;)

I'm probably going to get my scale back, this weekend, in which case I plan to have one AA-14 meal per day for the next week, this time using the recommended amount of water.

I'm also planning to try each of these with room temperature water. Hmmm... I might do that "back-to-back", so I can really compare them.

ak70g2 wrote:Ma'am, as long is not some kind of sulphuric acid, anything you'll send is welcomed. About that acid, I think I'll find a use for it, I'm chemistry graduate, actually. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Shiny! :)

Ok, I have a complete "set" of 10 in "your" box.
If any of the above ingredients/nutrition scares you, say the word, and I'll remove the offender(s).

I'm looking forward to reading your reviews - two sets of honest eyes is always better than one. :)

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:36 am

Actually, that's why I wanted some abroad testers for my rations, someone un-accustomed with east-european tastes. Here we use very meat-heavy meals, use a large amount of salt and condiments, but is requided to make a good deal of physical movement, so heart diseases are not very common. Personal, I hate fast food and I do a lot of rock climbing. :D

BigMark

Post by BigMark » Sat May 05, 2012 12:05 am

ak70g2 wrote:Actually, that's why I wanted some abroad testers for my rations, someone un-accustomed with east-european tastes. Here we use very meat-heavy meals, use a large amount of salt and condiments, but is requided to make a good deal of physical movement, so heart diseases are not very common. Personal, I hate fast food and I do a lot of rock climbing. :D
#4 in death from heart disease in the EU.. sounds like that food isn't that great for you. :twisted: