Single Serve Cans

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
spunky2268

Single Serve Cans

Post by spunky2268 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:08 am

All,
I've lurked here a long time and not posted much if at all, choosing to live through the group's experience with MRE's and similar rations. I, too, am a big MRE fan, though I like to fix fresh food when venturing out as well. I also like the single serve cans, ala C-rations, that are produced by various manufacturers. That is, when I can find them. I was wondering if any of you might be able to point me to an on-line source (or better yet, a local to Ohio source) of single serve canned items like Dinty Moore beef stew, Hormel chili, and Hormel CORNED BEEF HASH! I know that corned beef hash is bad for you, but it is OH SO GOOD when you are really hungry. I like to start a little fire now and again when I'm out, and the cans are nice just to park beside to warm from the radiant heat. That just don't work with the microwavable bowl entrees... Occasionally, I can find Chef Boyardee items in the single serve size, but those all taste the same. I've also seen ready-to-eat Campbell's soups in single serve sizes, so if you are privy to a source on those, that would be great, too. Can ya help a brotha out?

Also, awesome site, if I haven't said it before. I've got some great ideas, leads, and sources from you all on here and really appreciate it.

TurtleNomad

Re: Single Serve Cans

Post by TurtleNomad » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:04 am

spunky2268 wrote:I was wondering if any of you might be able to point me to an on-line source (or better yet, a local to Ohio source) of single serve canned items like Dinty Moore beef stew, Hormel chili, and Hormel CORNED BEEF HASH! I know that corned beef hash is bad for you, but it is OH SO GOOD when you are really hungry.
Welcome aboard, Spunky! :)

What sort of prices are you paying now, and what are your acceptable & ideal price ranges?

I agree with you about corned beef hash. :)
For a very brief period, four years ago, my favorite grocery chain carried retort pouches of corned beef. I foolishly assumed they'd be available forever, because who doesn't like corned beef. Nope. Disappeared within weeks. I did buy two pouches, and will be eating one soon, and I promise to post a review. :)
The important thing is the spices.
A man can live on packaged food from here til Judgement Day if he's got enough Marjoram.
- Shephard Book, "Serenity" (the pilot), Firefly

spunky2268

Post by spunky2268 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:58 pm

Thanks for the welcome and the reply, TurtleNomad. I forgot to mention in my original post that Beenie Weenies were a plentiful item and I do eat those on occasion. Variety is what I need. I suppose as far as cost, somewhere in the neighborhood of $1 is what I would pay for the conveinience. I know that I need to consider shipping and handling if buying on-line, and the possibility that if I buy in low quantities, my price will be higher per item.

I got ya on the retort packaged hash. Remember when Jack's Links came out with the retort hamburger packs? Seasoned, Mexican, and Italian "flavors". Those were great for quick meals at home or out with a partner or group. No more to be found... I don't think the civvy market relates to retorted foods too well, so things that we MRE consumers like often get discontinued.

Anything you can help me with pointing me in the right direction, TurtleNomad, is really appreciated.

Spunky

ETA: Please, no Vienna Sausages... :oops: But that sized can would work. I did find a source here: http://www.buythecase.net/product/9812/ ... beef_hash/ and I'll be sending an order in once my financial situation improves some. Also, it seems I can still find fruit in the small cans, so that helps to begin to round out my "homemade" C-rats.

Name_not_found

Post by Name_not_found » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:22 pm

Locally you can look for:

Your local above average supermarket:
-Wegmans, world-class shop-rite, piggly-wiggly, what ever it is called near you.
-They tend to have small cans of everything from dried sliced beef to fruit, even fish and veggies in smaller cans and pouches.

Areas with larger senior populations:
-They will have more smaller portion items available in general (not just food wise but all items).
-This includes most major pharmacy's, (cvs, wallgreens) that tend to have food stuffs now.
Ration Reviews: USA, Australia, Canada, Japan, Italy, Germany, France, China, Spain, Russia, Lithuania
Wish List: Rations from anywhere I haven't reviewed yet!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnlQPi ... kQXu87uUCA

dirtbag

Post by dirtbag » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:12 pm

Try your local 99 cent store, they have smaller cans.
Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO