Irene Meal

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
Morwin

Re: Irene Meal

Post by Morwin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:34 pm

That is a great idea NNF, I'll have to check the store tomorrow and see if they carry any of those meals and try that out. I have 2 or three shrink wrapped bricks of extra FRH and that would be a really good use for them. If I can find them I will get back to you on how they work.

MCIera

Post by MCIera » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:19 pm

I did this several years ago.

A Hormel Compleats will not fit into a FRH bag that is designed for MREs, but the FRH can indeed be used to heat it (or a similar trayed retort entree.) Rather than putting the tray/bowl into the FRH bag, invert the tray (ala Heater Meals instructions) and place it on top of the FRH heating element (either in or out of the bag. Put the whole thing inside of an insulated container (like an insulated lunch bag or 6 can cooler) or just inside of a covered container to keep the heat in. It will take about 15 minutes or so to heat the tray through, (remember that the tray is thicker than a MRE pouch.)

The short version, just follow the instructions for a Heater Meal trayed entree. The advantage with a military FRH is that you can use plain ol' water rather than a salt water packet.
Name_not_found wrote:----Does anyone have a Hormel completes that would check to see if it will fit in a FRH

Morwin

Post by Morwin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:27 pm

Im thinking that the Armor pouches of beef stew and chili might fit. seemed to be a close match from the pictures that someone posted not long ago.

justalurker

Post by justalurker » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:20 pm

Morwin wrote:Im thinking that the Armor pouches of beef stew and chili might fit. seemed to be a close match from the pictures that someone posted not long ago.
I just tried the chili. Fits in the header and the box, perfectly.

Morwin

Post by Morwin » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:40 pm

well i guess i need to go order a couple of cases now lol

cablemonkey
eBay name: clanrat

Post by cablemonkey » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:39 am

Looks a lot like a Heater Meal from Innotech.