Mountain House Wraps filling

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
hannonmc

Re: Mountain House Wraps filling

Post by hannonmc » Sun May 01, 2011 5:52 pm

So, I went on an overnight backpacking trip this past weekend. I took Treesuit's FSIR as my main food source.
P5010042.JPG
That's a lot of food...
...but also brought along a Mountain House BBQ Beef Wrap filler.
P5010039.JPG
Boiling the water (Snow Peak TI 900, LiteMax, and utensil set)
After opening the bag, I had a little bit of powder and my fingers and the immediate taste was very good. Lots of big chunks of tomatoe and such in there.
P5010040.JPG
Before adding water.
After heating up 1 1/2 cups of water, I added it to the bag.
P5010041.JPG
First stir.
It was a little soupy after waiting. I think I added just a bit too much water... Note for the future, cut back a little on the water. The smell was very inviting.
P5010044.JPG
After 9 minutes.
I brought along 3 tortillas to eat with this. I actually wound up raiding the MRE ones from the FSIR as there was so much left over. I shared this meal with two other people.
P5010045.JPG
Filled tortilla.
The taste was very good. Everyone I was with commented that they would eat / buy it again. The only thing, as I mentioned prior, was that I would cut back on the water a little bit so it would be a bit more firm. Very good level of spices and flavor!
P5010046.JPG
Yum!

Bypah

Post by Bypah » Sun May 01, 2011 5:57 pm

They sell that lavash bread in Walmart.The one sold here look like an overgrown wheat blanket.... :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
lavas bread 2.jpg
464-0005.jpg
lavash bread.jpg
@ Adrian...here on Oklahoma they do make Jumbo sized ( for burritos...) flour tortillas locally, the diameter of a large frying pan!!!! :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
022.JPG
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Live long and prosper..."

Bypah

Post by Bypah » Sun May 01, 2011 6:00 pm

Nice review hannonmc.... :D
where do you guys get those Mountain House filling bags? i'm interested in adquiring some to ad it to my stocks. :mrgreen:
"Live long and prosper..."

hannonmc

Post by hannonmc » Sun May 01, 2011 7:40 pm

I picked mine up at at REI...

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:09 pm

I checked today at Metro retailer store/warehouse, the laavash bread have "best before" term very short, like 5.09.2011 (May 9th, 2011), so, I don't think they'll resist a 3 months journey in a parcel... :|

Also, after trying an Mountain House Lasagna w/Meat Sauce pouch, courtesy of Norge (and Treesuit, I think :mrgreen: ), I don't mind to try other pouches aswell :D
Last edited by ak70g2 on Mon May 02, 2011 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'cuz hunting ain't catch and release...

Cracker
eBay name: tedtielemans

Post by Cracker » Mon May 02, 2011 1:14 pm

This one looks a LOT more appetizing in my eyes. Looks to have more colour, texture.. It even looks like food, the other one looked more like a paste.
I would most certainly eat this if the price/flavour was good. :) good review
Sure, someone may one day kill me with my own gun.
But they'll have to beat me to death with it because it's empty.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

hannonmc

Post by hannonmc » Mon May 02, 2011 3:53 pm

I'm a big fan of the Mountain House Lasagana as well... It tastes similar to a canned lasagana product we have here in the states.

The group I was backpacking with were all surprised at how good this wrap "filler" smelled and tasted. There were a few who have had MREs before and said that this tasted much much better.

All in all, good smell, texture, and seasoning... By adding less water I would imagine you would get a firmer consistency. With the amount specified, you get what was pictured. Still chunky, but the sauce was a little more fluid. Creative folding of the tortilla is important to keep it from running down your hand...

Glad that everyone liked the review.

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Tue May 03, 2011 8:47 am

I didn't sampled too many US food stuff by now, beside MREs. One of my top/best friends have some contacts and get me 2-3 cases of MREs periodically and I have some USMC folks at Mihail Kogalniceanu Airbase near me, but no stuff from they yet. Thanks to Norge I had two MH pouches, I eaten one and sent the other one to "research" by upper mentioned guy. He'll try to became MH and Drytech dealer in Romania.
'cuz hunting ain't catch and release...

Dingleberry Johnston

Post by Dingleberry Johnston » Tue May 03, 2011 2:39 pm

Good review, Treesuit! I've never seen the MH Chicken Salad Wrap before. I've tried all the others, though.

Out of the four I've tried, my favorites are the Breakfast Skillet Wrap and the Buffalo Chicken Wrap. I didn't care for the BBQ Beef or the Mexican Beef.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Wed May 04, 2011 12:05 am

Hannonmc,

That is a very good review of the BBQ Beef wrap, my compliments to your chef. :lol: I would agree with you on using less water on that one, sometimes it is tricky to get the right amount in the pouch, especially since you don't have a measuring cup lying around all the time. In the past sometimes I had to guess or "eyeball" it. Was the taste more BBQ or tomato-y? How about the veggies in there, did they soften up or remain hard? And the tortilla, was it useful and stand up to the consistency of the filling?

Now how about that FSIR? I mean, c'mon you took it to the field, what was the impression from your friends and your opinion overall? A little feedback here.... :mrgreen: