Kohinoor Mutter Paneer

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
QMGE81A
eBay name: j-a-smith

Kohinoor Mutter Paneer

Post by QMGE81A » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:21 pm

I was at a local clearance store called The Christmas Tree Shop. In the food section, on a bottom bin, I noticed a small selection of these Indian Entrees. They are put out by Kohinoor, and are in a retort pouch. $1.79 for a 10 oz entree did not seem too bad so I decided to give it a go.
100_5030.JPG
Mutter Paneer apparently is (Indian) Cottage Cheese and Peas. Per the packaging, "An exotic blend of tender Indian cottage cheese and garden peas cooked in a gravy of mild spices."
100_5032.JPG
Here is the back of the packaging. 423 calories if you consume the entire package.
100_5035.JPG
After opening I found the following retort pouch, which did not feel at thick and sturdy as a military retort pouch:
100_5041.JPG
Opening Retort Pouch:
100_5052.JPG
Contents in bowl after heating 1:30 in microwave:
100_5055.JPG
Finally, I added rice to the rather liquidy contents, as recommended on the back of the package.
100_5058.JPG
The texture of this entree was very mushy. The rice helped somewhat, but without it the entree is more of a soup. It did have a small spicy burn after the second taste, but nothing alarming. I did hit some pepper flavor, but mostly it just tasted of watered down tomato sauce with a dash of tobasco. The cottage cheese and peas tasted exactly the same, remniscent of an over boiled pot of vegetable stew, where everything just tastes the same and has little to no texture.

Overall I was not a fan, and not something I would highly recommend.

unixshrk

Re: Kohinoor Mutter Paneer

Post by unixshrk » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:30 pm

Nice review, I think I will take your advice and stay away from this one.
Bonus Dux Bonum Reddit Militem .. and..

It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed.