Adventurefood Entree

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
Cracker
eBay name: tedtielemans

Adventurefood Entree

Post by Cracker » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:18 am

For my trip to Romania I bought some freezedried meals, of which I already sent some to Romania, to avoid problems with customs on the airfield.
I helt back 2 off the meals for testing, and I just made myself a meal.

I tested the meal "Pasta Kaas/Champignon " (pasta chees with mushroom / pasta champignons und käse)... VEGETARIAN
The meals are 140 grams of freezedried stuff, with an oxygen absorber.. (that you have to find IN the meal, and remove) on which you add 0,38 liter of boiling water (0,4 US quarts) and then you zip the bag shut and let it sit for about 8 minutes.

The result is a decent mealsized portion of about 500 gram, the cheesy smell did not smell very great though.
There is not much cheese sauce in the meal, but you can taste the meal anyways. It also isn't to watery, which is very common with the preperation of freezedried meals. Also it's a bit salt, but in my experience all freezedrieds are a bit salty. (And sodium (natrium) is very imported when being outdoors, to prevent water poisoning and such)

Rating, based on a 1 (bad) to 10 (perfect) score:

Portionsize: 9
Smell: 5
Taste: 7
Ease of preperation: 7
structure: 8
Mealquality (lots of vegetables): 8

Overall score: 7,3
I would eat it again

Pro:

Tastes good and has a nice structure for a freezedried meal, lots of vegetables, nice portion size, lightweight and compact

Con:

Smells a bit bad, you have the find te oxygen absorber and remove it, covering your hands in cheesepowder (behh!), requires boiling water, and is hard to mix with your spoon (the bottom is a bit salty because of the cheesepowder that drops to the bottom)

I wasn't able to make any pictures, but I'm sure we'll take some pictures in Romania.
The brand is AdventureFood ( http://www.adventurefood.com ) and the retail price is €4.65
Shelve life of my pack is 02/12/2013 (12/02/2013 for americans) the producer states the off factory shelve life is 48 months.

Nutrional info per 100 grams:

Energy: 406kcal (568 per meal)
protein: 13 grams (probably caused by the lack of meat because it's a veggy meal)
carbohydrates: 60 grams
fat: 13 grams

The picture is realistic, the meal does look like that one, this not a polished up sales picture, only slightly better mixed (probably prepared outside of the bag)
The left one is the meal I have (140gr) the right one is a double bag with 2 portions, 260gr in total (2x130)
Last edited by Cracker on Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sure, someone may one day kill me with my own gun.
But they'll have to beat me to death with it because it's empty.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

housil

Re: Adventurefood Entree

Post by housil » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:35 am

Thx for the review, we are awating to see some pic´s :D
Cracker wrote: and the retail price is €4.65

Outch...

You will get 4 ready-to-eat supermarkt EPa like entrees for this and don´t have to heat water.

Cracker
eBay name: tedtielemans

Post by Cracker » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:06 am

the prepared meal contains more then double of a MRE entree.
But because we need to take food with us, for 10 days, I had to get some freezedrieds.

And because I don't like travellunch that much (atleast back in the days.. about 4 years ago.. they are believed to be improved) So I bought 6 of these. And I'll probably be receiving a bunch of norwegian rations aswell.. from a Dutch friend.. who went to norway a few weeks ago.. and they did a lot of trading with the locals...

Norge!? is your Dutch friend called Dirk? :shock:

But to be honest, these are the best freezedrieds I had yet besides the Drytech meals (but they cost €6,99 per entree :shock: ). The cheaper freezedrieds often don't get soft enough, or get extremely watery or simply don't have enough taste to them.

If you PM your adress I'll send you a tester
Sure, someone may one day kill me with my own gun.
But they'll have to beat me to death with it because it's empty.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

norge

Post by norge » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:28 pm

cracker:Norge!? is your Dutch friend called Dirk? nope but im shure youre friend was there where my friend was :D :D
it sound familiar :D

btw i tryed the adventurefood a few years ago and i will never use them again....no good
the chicken meal i had was like eating staws with rice and thiny chicken pieces... :cry:

hope yours are better :D

cheers ken