Britman's Look What We Found review

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
britman

Britman's Look What We Found review

Post by britman » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:02 pm

Well I called in a farm shop with a mate as we are driving through our countryside (I call it a farm shop but its actually quite a big estate), they sell all their own produced organic stuff, had the best burger in NATO, mmm it was good, pricey but good.

But look at what else they were selling:

So here is my review of the meatballs!

Boiled them up in the bag. It doesn't say you can do this, and I was tempted to just empty them and microwave them, but I thought if I was using them as a ratpack I don't have a field microwave (like 8) ) so decided to boil them up!

Not sure boiling them up in the pouch is such a hot idea since it is not a retort pouch like rations but a plasticy one. It boils okay but the ink comes off on your messtin so you can't exactly use the water for brews.

Heated up in pouch... meatballs sank to bottom so it is not as soupy as it looks...

With some microwaveable/heatable-in-the-bag rice ( http://www.unclebens.co.uk/UncleBens/en ... d_Rice.htm - it is pretty runny so you need something to go with it) and a lurvely cup of tea!

Tasty stuff, and definitely fills a gap! I have saved the other :) and think I will try to make a 'civvy ration' with Prince's pouches (see my other new post here!) and a Pack N Go freezedried brekky pouch (think they are the same as in UK 'P' rats, our version of LRPs) 8)

German_EPA
eBay name: advenutre-world-shop

Re: Britman's Look What We Found review

Post by German_EPA » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:44 am

field microwave (like

8) ) so decided to boil them up!
:mrgreen: :!: great! :lol: :lol: :lol:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
MILITARY/OUTDOOR/CAMPING/EMERGENCY-FOOD
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: My shop: http://www.adventure-world.de

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

housil

Post by housil » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:56 am

britman wrote:

Britman:

That vid is sooooooooooooooooooooo funny!!!!! Image

@ kman: Can you please add this to the video section?! :wink:

britman

Post by britman » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:22 pm

If you have no wagon to run it off, just remember, every 3rd tree in the forestry blocks on training areas has an electrical plug in it. Simples! :D

Bypah

Post by Bypah » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:21 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
FUNNY!!!!! NUFF SAID....
"Live long and prosper..."

MCIera

Post by MCIera » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:15 am

Actually, it is indeed a retort pouch, albeit without the foil layer. The use of this type of laminate is quite popular in consumer packaging to enable it's use in a microwave, though it does shorten the shelf life. As for boiling the package, they can indeed be boiled just like the laminates with the foil layers that are found in both military and consumer packaging. The re-use of the boiling water for beverages is not recommended for either type of packaging though (i.e. using the water used to heat up a military MRE is also not recommended as materials from the packaging is also released into the heating water.)
britman wrote: Not sure boiling them up in the pouch is such a hot idea since it is not a retort pouch like rations but a plasticy one. It boils okay but the ink comes off on your messtin so you can't exactly use the water for brews.