Wornick Eversafes that you've been seeing

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
Big Galloot

Wornick Eversafes that you've been seeing

Post by Big Galloot » Fri May 08, 2009 7:05 pm

Any of you who have been watching MREs on E-Bay have probably noticed that there are a few vendors selling Wornick Eversafe Emergency Meal Kits for $ 30.00 and less for a case of 10. It sounds like it should be a good deal, but there is not a lot of information available. Wornick has come out of Chapter 11 proceedings and might be doing well enough financially, but they have shown a really spotty interest in marketing MREs to civilians. Is it possible that these bargain MREs are actually a case of Wornick dumping some unwanted inventory?

Now there is this site; http://www.dpciwholesale.com/cart.php?t ... bPageID=12 These people are local to me so I don't even need to pay shipping. When a friend said that he was going to go pick up a few, I gave him $ 15.00 and asked him to get one for me. $ 1.50 a meal? How bad could it be?

Here is what I received for my $ 15.00;

I got (4) Chili with Beans meals
chili.JPG
Chili with Beans
I got (3) Beef Stew meals
stew.JPG
Beef Stew
I got (1) Sloppy Joe Filling meal
sloppyjoe.JPG
Sloppy Joe
I got (1) Spaghetti with Meat and Sauce meal
spaghetti.JPG
Spaghetti with Meat and Sauce
And (1) Chicken, Vegetables and Noodles in Sauce meal
chicknoodle.JPG
Chicken and Noodles
Did anyone notice that the salt water packets all say "Heater Meals?" The calorie totals for the meals were 880, 720, 920, 740, and 720 respectively.

There were two changes from the printed component lists. Wherever they included the Beef Snack Strip, the menu listed "Beef Stick and Cheese" there was a significant calorie hit there. Second, the Chicken and Noodle menu was to have included a wheat snack bread along with the cracker. Hmmm...

As with most civilian variants of the MRE, the component mix is difficult to comprehend. Why they thought that a slice of Spam would enhance the value of a Beef Stew entree escapes me.

Yet, in the end, I only paid $ 1.50 per meal and I that is less than the cost of the entree alone. If all of these meals are like the one I received, they are definitely worth the $ 15.00 and even $ 30.00. I see some people on Ebay bidding these cases up over $ 60.00 for a case and I think that they are not choosing wisely. I do love Peanut M&Ms though!
You can pick your friends
and you can pick your nose
but you can't roll your friends into little green balls!

kman
Site Admin

Re: Wornick Eversafes that you've been seeing

Post by kman » Fri May 08, 2009 7:24 pm

Great information, Big Galloot! I've been wanting to post lately about those Eversafe MREs I've seen on eBay. Judging from the pictures in the auctions, I suspected they contained civilian/short-life products and your pictures confirm that.

But I have even more Eversafe news that I'll try to get posted either today or tomorrow (I have a lot of text and pictures). The short of it is that a new company has swung a deal with Wornick to create a new line of Eversafes that are 12 per case with higher calorie counts and use actual MRE items. I have a case of the new Eversafes sitting right here, in fact. Until those old 10-meal cases get flushed out of the market, there's going to be a lot of confusion between the old and new products.

More info coming soon!

Big Galloot

Post by Big Galloot » Fri May 08, 2009 7:30 pm

BTW - I should have mentioned that use by dates on the Armour products are all 2011, mostly August. Since I went through the trouble of checking it, I should have mentioned it!
You can pick your friends
and you can pick your nose
but you can't roll your friends into little green balls!

MCIera

Post by MCIera » Fri May 08, 2009 9:16 pm

I don't remember when I posted it, I think it was some time last year (maybe earlier.) I think the Eversafes were discontinued well before Wornick filed Chap. 11. Anyway, the posting to which I refer was about Emergency Essentials of Utah, http://beprepared.com/ offering cases of Eversafes at $30 per case (with I think a 10 or 12 case minimum), including shipping. At that point they had already been discontinued. I can only think that the Eversafes being hustled on fleaBay are some more of that liquidated inventory.
Big Galloot wrote:Any of you who have been watching MREs on E-Bay have probably noticed that there are a few vendors selling Wornick Eversafe Emergency Meal Kits for $ 30.00 and less for a case of 10. It sounds like it should be a good deal, but there is not a lot of information available. Wornick has come out of Chapter 11 proceedings and might be doing well enough financially, but they have shown a really spotty interest in marketing MREs to civilians. Is it possible that these bargain MREs are actually a case of Wornick dumping some unwanted inventory?