a-pack Salt Water package - leaking

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
sag45

a-pack Salt Water package - leaking

Post by sag45 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:31 am

Just went into the apack 2006 case today. Noticed the Chicken w/ Black Beans & Rice 6200 date inside package all wet.
So I pulled it out and opened it. At first I thought the main entry was leaking since the cardboard box had darker colored spots on it and signs of it being wet. After removing all the components I found the FRH Salt water pouch to
be leaking. I dont know if I rough handled them when they arrived or ifthe pack alreadyhad a small hole in it at the corner, I did find along they side of the pack to have a crimp where it is seal, but about 1/3 of the fluid had leaked out of the pouch. I think for now I may remove all those saltwater pouches and FRH bags and replace them with the regular FRH bags, just to keep this from happening again and probably not a bad idea if you dont mind opening the MRE'S. I was a little shocked to see that - Just didnt expect that at all. The meal was tasty and good, raspberry beverage looks a little bloated and I will try that tomorrow - maybe a little air in it, no date on the beverage dk or osmotic raisins. I'm a newbie, but I dont think its a good idea to have those saltwater packs or any water pack in the whole MRE package, especially if you pull two or three out and taking them out in the field where they are rough handled a little harder.
POTTED MEAT! A FAVORITE! Eat too much and you get THE GOUT!

kman
Site Admin

Re: a-pack Salt Water package - leaking

Post by kman » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:22 pm

I always wonder about those salt water packets whenever I open up an aPack meal. I understand why they use them - so the FRHs aren't so volatile - but it does seem like a pretty flimsy packet that would be easy to puncture.

I definitely wouldn't rough handle the aPacks like I would the regular MREs.