preppercheffer? yea or nay?

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
Dekard

preppercheffer? yea or nay?

Post by Dekard » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:14 am

in my ongoing quest to find palatable freeze dried meals i came across PrepperCheffer

http://prepcheffer.com/index.php?main_p ... Path=20_22

anyone heard of these? surprisingly there's no internet reviews to be found.

Tedster

preppercheffer?

Post by Tedster » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:01 pm

Here's where you order a couple and review them for us.

Take one for the team!

Dekard

Re: preppercheffer?

Post by Dekard » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:07 am

Tedster wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:01 pm
Here's where you order a couple and review them for us.

Take one for the team!
if i must...the things i do for you guys.

Tedster

preppercheffer?

Post by Tedster » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:33 pm

I bet they taste OK, the real issue for most people, is cost.

They look a little spendy right out of the gate, as this is before shipping charges are included. The "name brand" meals are light on calories, light on protein & fats, heavy on carbs/sugar & salt.

Typically the name brands are ~ $12 for say 600 calories (aka "Serves 2") is just a bit on the high side. Before the Unpleasantness of the last few years I would snag MRE @ $5 apiece delivered. That's ~ 1200 calories, with a variety of snacks, entree, and vitamins & drinks, with adequate protein. With careful shopping and reading the labels at the grocery store one can put together essentially the same thing for a fraction of the cost of the freeze-dried entrees. I like them, they are convenient and light, but they are just a little bit too much money to load up on for extended cuisine.

Dekard

Re: preppercheffer?

Post by Dekard » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:00 am

Tedster wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:33 pm
I bet they taste OK, the real issue for most people, is cost.
that's the same conclusion I am coming to too - after buying the Augason Farms 1 week emergency meal and seeing what was in it, i can put together my own with higher quality components at lesser cost.

it's all part of a layered strategy of canned, freeze dried + mres. we get hurricanes every so often and you never know when you'll get stuck on I-95 for 24 hrs .
Last edited by Dekard on Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tedster

Freeze dried yea or nay?

Post by Tedster » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:47 am

Exactly. There are different tools for different purposes. I used to buy them when hiking, because, that's what hikers do, right? Well not really. If just going out for a few days there is no reason one can't being steak, fresh eggs, just about anything. For long, long distance hikers, caches, and similar the freeze-dried have their place for sure. Most experienced hikers, the hard core pare everything to the bone long distance guys and gals probably don't eat much freeze-dried. I do like the fact they can be stored in a pack indefinitely and they are ready to go, so I keep a few for that reason.

It's kind of funny, I literally count calories and weigh food at home, and keep an eye on the fats, carbohydrate & protein. Having lost excess baggage around the middle some years ago, and being determined to keep it lost, this is something I have to do, no way around it. So I have a sense of what foods are good/better/best in terms of food energy. This becomes really important when hiking, in cold weather etc.

It is not perfect, but if you pencil it out in terms of cost, and calories, grams protein etc, a 5 pound bag of Flour and a 40 oz jar of Peanut Butter represents about 8 days of nutrition for an adult male, at 60 grams protein and close to the RDA of 2000 calories, lots of minerals, etc. About $10