Hormel Compleats

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
MCIera

Re: Hormel Compleats

Post by MCIera » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:33 am

Huh? Haven't noticed any difference in pricing for these over the past couple of years. They're still around $2 each. Perhaps you've fallen victim to the supermarket pricing game of inflated prices so that they can mark them down as "sale" items? I did notice that Wal-Mart had increased the price to about $2.25 for a while, but they've been back to $1.98 for almost 2 years now. You can still find Compleats at some of the discount stores (similar to Big Lots) for about $1.50 or less. Hormel is also offering the Compleats under the American Classics brand name (same product, different cardboard wrapper.)
jfko6 wrote:Hormel Compleats used to be cheap. Now they are way overpriced.

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Post by jfko6 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:39 am

I wish that was the case here. But it aint.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:35 pm

I heard that Wal-Mart is raising prices because there in direct competition with another fast rising super discount store. Not sure of the name but I briefly heard it. I bet that might lead to some creditability to the notion that they raised prices on the Hormel Completes. Can anyone confirm this?

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Post by jfko6 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:55 am

Yes, price has doubled here for the same portion.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

MCIera

Post by MCIera » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:55 am

You're probably referring to Target getting into the grocery business. Haven't seen any significant difference in Wal-Mart's pricing though, but grocery prices overall have been on a steady increase in spite of the state of the economy. With regards to the Hormel Compleats specifically, there hasn't been any increase in price, as a matter of fact, the price went back down to $1.98 after a brief period at $2.28 about 1.5-2 years ago. The mainstream grocery chains also bring it down to the $2 level in their weekly ads. The Super Wal-Marts often carry the complete line of Compleats, something I don't see in any of the other stores around here. As for "raising prices" due to competition from another chain, that seems like an odd strategy :D
Treesuit wrote:I heard that Wal-Mart is raising prices because there in direct competition with another fast rising super discount store. Not sure of the name but I briefly heard it. I bet that might lead to some creditability to the notion that they raised prices on the Hormel Completes. Can anyone confirm this?

housil

Post by housil » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:51 pm

Today I had my very first one *somebody* :wink: sent me
Schlank 003.JPG
Schlank 004.JPG
Schlank 007.JPG
The chicken breast had a nice texture, the mashed potato weren´t "slushy". Great dish to me!

fdsman

Post by fdsman » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:39 pm

Here in socal, we just got a super wal-mart. I'll have to check on the prices.

Target was the first to start selling major groceries here and it seems wal-mart finally followed suit.

biscuits brown

Post by biscuits brown » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:33 pm

Always have deep suspicion about any food product which warns against using "conventional" i.e heat, fire, heating.

What does it do, start to mutate?
Brrrrrrrr nasty stuff.

dirtbag

Post by dirtbag » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:41 pm

The container will melt...
It's made for the microwave.
Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO

biscuits brown

Post by biscuits brown » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:18 pm

I hate microwaves. They are WRONG :evil: I wouldnt have one if you paid me.

Why cant they just make a container that can handle both? Seems dumb to me. Why limit it to just one way of heating?

Or could you scoop out the contents, put it in a real container, and just heat it in a REAL oven for 20 mins? Anyone ever tried that?

I would use the product if it could be heated normally. We have similar in the UK (though Hormel look the best types of food I like) so I just wont use them.

I bet they would sell even more if you were given a heating choice.