Hormel Compleats

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
Richard w.

Post by Richard w. » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:13 am

The ones I've checked the labels on each have about 45 - 50 % of the recommended daily sodium intake.

They each have only a few more calories than a single Snickers bar, too.

bishopmarine

Post by bishopmarine » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:04 am

dave i hear what you are saying. i just think that if they are going to call them compleats. then they should be a complete meal not a snack. just a little misleading on the name. you eat it and are still hungry. i dont know about everyone else but one of these for lunch will not cut it for me.
"Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army."
Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War;
shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered
to not wear their khaki leggings.

C-rats

Post by C-rats » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:24 pm

Last week I ate one of the Meat Loaf with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy entrees and boy, was it good!

A surprisingly large portion of meat loaf (for the container size that is), and as usual, really,really good gravy! But as usual, overall somewhat bland (however, the meat loaf holds it's own in this entree ---- it's the mashed potatoes & gravy that really need some spicing up). I only added garlic pepper to this as I'm now on a salt restricted diet, and it really did the trick well. Ketchup or A1 would be a tasty addition as well I'm sure.

All in all, this one goes on my favorite's list. Yum! :P
Everything tastes better with Tabasco

BigMark

Post by BigMark » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:36 am

I tried the roast beef with mashed potatoes today and was pleasantly surprised. The roast beef just fell into tiny pieces, so I did like I've done with all the rest, chopped it up into little pieces (stirred this one actually, it fell apart on it's own) and then stirred everything up together. I'd give it a 7 rating on the crappy food scale. Pretty decent. Still just like Dinty Moore though.

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Dinty Moore

Post by jfko6 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:04 am

Out of all of the Hormeal Complete meals Dinty Moore was the best. My taste buds were not a fan of the Roast Beef. Too bland.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

icarus

Post by icarus » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:40 pm

I've been piling these up in my emergency storage pantry. Although they have a use by date of about 2 or so years from purchase, My thought is that they may last a bit longer than that.

What do others think?

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:44 pm

My own personal guess would that they're good for at least 6 years, if not more, depending on how you store them. But after two years, I would also start taste-testing one every six months or so to make sure the food stays good. And then around five years, I'd recommend you start rotating the food out of storage (eat it) and replace it with fresher stock.

bishopmarine

Post by bishopmarine » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:49 pm

for storage i buy the mountain house pouches at my local wal-mart. there the two serving ones. they have about 7 different varietys and they range in price from 5.46 for spaghetti to 6.68 for chicken breasts and mashed potatoes. i have gone to several other walmarts looking for more variety but they do not have any. so maybe i am just lucky. plus i get a 10% discount with an employee discount card. well i dont but a friend goes in and buys them for me. the ones i have been buying in the newer looking package have a use by date of feb 2014. although im sure they will keep longer than that.
"Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army."

icarus

Post by icarus » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:01 pm

bishopmarine wrote:for storage i buy the mountain house pouches at my local wal-mart. there the two serving ones. they have about 7 different varietys and they range in price from 5.46 for spaghetti to 6.68 for chicken breasts and mashed potatoes. . .
Dude, save your self some money and buy the number 10 cans from here. They seem to have the best deals on MH food.
http://survivalacres.com/index.html

Definitely a good thing to think about.

bishopmarine

Post by bishopmarine » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:13 pm

i have a bunch of number ten cans but i dont like to open them because im the only one who eats them. i actually eat the pouches usually about 5 a month. i hike a lot. i am getting ready to take advantage of possibly the last mountain house group buy that a couple of people have put together. i just prefer to have the pouches for convenience i would hate to open a number 10 can to go hiking and have to throw some away.