question about mountain house meals

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
JediMindTricks

question about mountain house meals

Post by JediMindTricks » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:13 pm

Hi all. I was just fascinated to know what MH offers, and I am a bit confused by what I see.
For example, this product pouch says 108 grams. Aren't typical NATO standard retort pouch mains in the range of 250-300 grams? So this product that costs almost $10, has approximately 1/3rd of the food in a typical size Military ration retort or tin can meal? Or am I a dumbass and just completely misunderstand what I'm seeing? :lol:

https://www.mountainhouse.com/M/product ... ant_id=296

Thanks yo.
Image Image Image

bart

Re: question about mountain house meals

Post by bart » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:19 pm

Does it have anything to do with the fact its freeze dried?

Would explain the lower weight

JediMindTricks

Post by JediMindTricks » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:31 pm

bart wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:19 pm
Does it have anything to do with the fact its freeze dried?

Would explain the lower weight
Ohhhh.... duhhh... I knew I was a dumbass. Thanks bart for pointing out my extreme amount of dumbassery. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Okay a question... kind of in a similar direction, where can civilians buy already made meals in retort pouches, that you just have to warm up? Do such things exist? I'm looking for an online retailer.
I don't buy these types of foods typically, I never go camping or hiking, so its new to me.

Thanks
Image Image Image

RSMRE

Post by RSMRE » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:39 pm

I had someone from this board hook me up w/ the Southwest Breakfast Hash....was absolutely amazing...highly recommend hem :D
Sellers/Traders I recommend: ViperGTS x2, Salty Croc, donjuan_21,Sturm44,Ration_Man

bart

Post by bart » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:37 am

JediMindTricks wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:31 pm

Ohhhh.... duhhh... I knew I was a dumbass. Thanks bart for pointing out my extreme amount of dumbassery. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Okay a question... kind of in a similar direction, where can civilians buy already made meals in retort pouches, that you just have to warm up? Do such things exist? I'm looking for an online retailer.
I don't buy these types of foods typically, I never go camping or hiking, so its new to me.

Thanks
Aha no worries at all, not a dumb question - I did have to look close up to the stock picture as it's not really clear

Not sure about the US but in the UK people just buy retort pouches from ration packs on eBay if they don't want to buy a full ration. Might want to try the same thing?

Other countries like Germany they have a good selection of retort pouches with some good meals inside - for example bratkartoffeln (fried potatoes with onion) which you can pick up for around $2-3 in most shops

Again I may be talking bull here but I'm just quoting my own experience :)

JediMindTricks

Post by JediMindTricks » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:04 pm

Thank you Bart & RSMRE.

Image Image Image

Tedster

Post by Tedster » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:39 am

Actually the OP isn't wrong for questioning. The pouch is (almost ) 4 oz. net, with a claim that it "Serves 2".

Serves 2 what, exactly, isn't specified. The .mil cold weather rations are 5 oz, and are reconstituted with 16 oz of water and make no claims other than a single serving. This is about right for an entree, cold weather or not.

The entire MRE retort entree portion size has always puzzled me. When they first hit the scene they were apparently 5 ounces. This is 1/3 of a standard can of chili sold today. Even the current 8 ounce entree is fairly pathetic looked at in those terms. Years ago I gave a couple MREs to some bums. I figured they would appreciate some free food. They did. I happened to see them a few days later and asked what they thought. "A whole lotta nothin'" was the reply. LOL!