MRENation - Extreme Hamburger MREN Menu #5 - Partial Review

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
Smitty

MRENation - Extreme Hamburger MREN Menu #5 - Partial Review

Post by Smitty » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:31 pm

Well folks, Colleen kindly sent this up to me (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXZjTP ... mSw/videos. I didn't order this menu back in July. To be quite honest, Colleen bought this sometime in October/November when they offered the extremes for sale again. It was a race for the ages, and she won with quite the lead even though I had a 3 month head start. I'm not sure of the story, and I'm sure it was a result of waiting for certain retorts of the other menus to come in before CT, Tracy and I got the shipping notification. To make up for the delay, we did receive an extra extreme which was cool.

IMG_2494.JPG

I didn't try the peelable seal, and just spent 37 hours sharpening a paper clip to McGiver into this bad boy. You're going to have to trust me because I didn't film that.

IMG_2483.JPG

Again, the components from my last post are going to look mighty familiar. Some of the following is copy paste to save my keyboard some mileage. Poor thing.

The components aren't too bad. With some lower stock (I assume based on looking at the website), some of the recent MRE Nation rations have the same ingredients, such as the brownie, WSB, mashed potatoes. Overall though, I think these items are just fine.

1 x Hamburger Patty - It's actually "Patties". There's two of these bad boys and they are HEFTY! Unlike some of the other ones...this one has got to be 8 oz.
2 x Wheat Snack Bread - What the heck, Screw off WSB. I'ma going to get me a pain burger until Natick figures out MRE bread.
1 x Applesauce Cake - These are pretty good! but this is destined to go to Mrs. Smitty
1 x Potatoes, Mashed, Instant - I believe this is prepared in house, but I could be wrong. This does not make sense at all. Would be better with potato chips (hickory sticks!? mmmm)
1 x MRE Star High Energy Bar - Frick, this is going right into the box and being sent to someone else. Get this stuff away from me. Ugh. Was trapped in a mountain pass for 12 hours once and these compressed bars were all we had. Lucky to have them, never eating another again. That and MRE Star can go su...pply someone else.
1 x Cream Cheese Icing - Looks great, but that's also going to Mrs. Smitty. Now that she's tasted it, I will never try it under pains of certain death.
1 x SCM Creamer Spread - This stuff is goood, especially in coffee. Vietnamese Coffee rocks.
Condiments (Mustard, Ketchup, Peanut Butter, Grape Jelly) - Heck Yeah! I saw a Extreme Hamburger MRE review and it didn't contain this stuff which would have made me super sad. Glad to see it here. Still though, no cheese spread. I guess you could make a PB&J sando, but not when you're making a burger. The jelly is into the extras bin.
1 x Accessory Pack - The spoon is the usual MRE-Star spoon (tongue depressor?) but there is also a prepackaged cutlery set complete with a plaid napkin. The extras include salt/pepper (huzzah!), lemon and lime (I guess you could put them in the water??), 4 drink mixes (I'm assuming they are sugar free because dang, there ain't nothing in these packs, and they mix up clear. Tasty though), Coffee Instant Type III (yay! Not deep and rich), creamer and sugar, US smarties (rockets!), and a wet napkin (so moist).
1 x FRH
1 x Bevy Bag - Does anyone use these?

IMG_2484.JPG

Yeah that's right. Two patties! Also: I do what I want. Jalapeno Cheese Spread, Sriracha, Mustard, and another type of ketchup because the one in the ration tasted like tomato paste and was removed from the premises. What's that peanut butter pack doing there?!

IMG_2486.JPG

You know what's amazing? Opening that retort and being hit by a beautiful scent of grilled hamburger shocked the heck out of me. I think they legit grilled these things before sealing them in and thermostabilizing. Wow. This has a similiar texture to the Beef Patty, but a lot more fat makes it much more moist.

IMG_2487.JPG

Huzza! IMP Hamburger Bun to the rescue! Look at this work of art. The first few bites were AMAZING. IMP Hamburger patties have nothing on these. They were truly moist, flavourful with that char from the grilling shining through, and the paired so well with the bun and condiments.

IMG_2488.JPG

Yes sir, I did it, I put peanut butter on my burger, and i regret NOTHING. I was in Calgary, AB when I first saw and tried this done. What an upgrade. The fatty texture enhanced the whole burger, and the peanut flavour went so well with the Sriracha sauce.

In summary: Wow. Just....WOW. The components are, again, not very extreme, but that main is amazing. With the right components this thing would be absolutely off the charts amazing.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

M R Eedy
eBay name: Creeder

Re: MRENation - Extreme Hamburger MREN Menu #5 - Partial Review

Post by M R Eedy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:14 pm

Awsome lol "under pains of certian death" you my friend are a poet. Then peanut butter on the burger I will give that a try thanks for the review

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:49 am

Good review, Smitty! Thanks for sharing!

WorkmanMRE

Post by WorkmanMRE » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:38 pm

Entertaining review Smitty! Great idea with the peanutbutter sriracha combo. Kinda like a peanut thai sauce burger! Cool!
Cheers on a cool ration! ....up next...beyond burger mre!
Cheers,
WorkmanMRE

and
Animal Free MRE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC39Adn ... subscriber
-----------------------------------------------------------

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:56 pm

WorkmanMRE wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:38 pm
Entertaining review Smitty! Great idea with the peanutbutter sriracha combo. Kinda like a peanut thai sauce burger! Cool!
Cheers on a cool ration! ....up next...beyond burger mre!
Haha, but think of the thousand of peas that had to die just so you could have a bur.... ;)

An interesting idea. I’m sure those things can be thermo-stabilized.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

RGoodellSr
eBay name: Goodell911

Post by RGoodellSr » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:09 pm

Great review, Smitty!

I've seen a couple video reviews of this menu as well, and I've thought it looks pretty good.

I'm really hoping Bob will eventually run out of grape jelly and get something else. I also don't understand why Bob can't include the pain-bun, at least on this menu, as the snack bread just doesn't make sense. Butter Buds would be nice for the potatoes, but I plan on using the burger juice as gravy to step them up a notch.

The only use for the beverage bag I can possibly imagine would be making an attempt to warm up some water for coffee out in the field (at the expense of sharing any FRH heat with the main entrée.)

Great work sir, keep it up!
Please visit Rick & Aedyn on YouTube: MRE Goodell