MRENation - Extreme Bratwurst MREN - Partial Review

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
Smitty

MRENation - Extreme Bratwurst MREN - Partial Review

Post by Smitty » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:33 pm

Hello,

I decided to write this review rather than post a video, mainly because I kind of wanted to focus more on my main passion - Military Rations. Just received this ration and a few others in the mail yesterday through DHL. Was surprised at the small amount of brokerage fees which is usually pretty high crossing the border. Good news!

IMG_2470.JPG

The peelable seal opened with no issue, despite my love of ridiculous opening methods.

IMG_2471.JPG

The components aren't too bad. With some lower stock (I assume based on looking at the website), some of the recent MRE Nation rations have the same ingredients, such as the brownie, WSB, mashed potatoes. Overall though, I think these items are just fine.

2 x Bratwursts - One per pack, and it looks like it's about 3-4 oz. total for both.
2 x Wheat Snack Bread - While I'd prefer a wrap with hotdogs/bratwurst just because it's a little easier to eat and a little better balance of bread to meat, Tracy Phillips used the WSB to good effect in his video of this ration.
1 x TFF Fudge Brownie - Pre 2017 MRE Beef Stew had one of these and I really like these, but this is destined to go to Mrs. Smitty
1 x Potatoes, Mashed, Instant - I believe this is prepared in house, but I could be wrong. A nice little addition to this menu, and it makes sense
1 x Corn Nuts - Standard corn nuts, deliciously crunchy and fresh, being packed in December. These ones are packaged in house too, I believe. No oxy-absorber though, so I'm curious about the long term storage of these. My brain can't recall if MRE Corn Nuggets have one.
1 x Cream Cheese Icing - Looks great, but that's also going to Mrs. Smitty. She didn't get one in her Cinnamon Bun MRE and was sad.
Condiments (Cheese Spread, Mustard, Ketchup) - Heck Yeah! This is perfect for me. I saw a Extreme Hamburger MRE review and it didn't contain this stuff which would have made me super sad. Glad to see it here.
1 x Accessory Pack - The spoon is different, but Bob did mention that he ran out of the MRE Star spoons and has the Aussie spoon ordered to replace them. The extras include salt/pepper (huzzah!), lemon and lime (I guess you could put them in the water??), pink lemonade (I thought the extremes had 4 drink mixes?), deep&rich coffee (meh, even at 4 oz. of water, I'm not a huge fan), creamer and sugar, US smarties (rockets!), and a wet napkin (so moist).
1 x FRH

To be honest, I'm glad to see the original white accessory standard pouch not in here. I've personally got no use for that pack, and appreciate the simplicity here.

The main is what I was after anyways, truth be told. Most of the other items are headed to my extras bin.

IMG_2473.JPG

Look at it, in all it's glory. Opening the pack, I was hit but a nice smokey aroma, and the bratwurst was nice and plump. On to a non-standard corn tortilla (because I can!) and a bed of mustard, ketchup, and cheese spread (for the love of all that is holy, cut smaller holes in your pack of cheese spread! I don't ever want to see someone trying to smear a ball of it with their spoon again, lest I go fully grey).

IMG_2475.JPG

The bratwurst reminded me heavily of a smokie, both in flavour, and mouth-feel. I think you yanks have smokies down there, but you literally CANNOT camp up in Canada without bringing a pack. Hot dogs are for peasants (sorry). It was nice and plump, great smokey flavour, and delicious burst of pork fat. I don't think this is a bratwurst, considering the courser chop of meat, and the smoked nature of it, but it's most definitely a wurst (there are so many...someone go ask housil!). Looking online, it could be like a hickory smoked stadium bratwurst or something. Anyone's guess.

Do I like it? Sure do. I've love to have a case of these mains just chilling out for those times at work (like today), when I get hungry and don't want to order anything in. The 8 g of protein and the 200 calories (most likely fat) are awesome for those low-carb folks in the house.

Do I think the ration is extreme...eeehhh. It's quite normal with the exception of the main.

I have to say, thank you to Bob for trying to innovate in a fairly stagnant market. Keep at it, good sir!
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

housil

Re: MRENation - Extreme Bratwurst MREN - Partial Review

Post by housil » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:40 am

A Bratwurst MRE?!
That´s too awesome!

We got some Currywurst EPa entrees

Demolition_Man

Post by Demolition_Man » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:04 pm

*breathes heavily in German*
Military rations I have...
tested: Germany, USA, UK, France, Norway, Canada, Lithuania
acquired but yet to try: Australia, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Netherlands, Estonia, Latvia, Poland, Czech Republic, Croatia, Russia (Mountain, IRP), Ukraine

mikeoverhere
eBay name: mikeoverhere

Post by mikeoverhere » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:55 pm

The two Extreme Hamburger MRE's I got both had the ketchup, mustard, and cheese (and mayo? I can't remember now).

I really wish Bob could source Canadian or UK bread, it's so much better and better for these entrees.
Last edited by mikeoverhere on Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Socrate's last words: "I drank what?"

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:41 pm

mikeoverhere wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:55 pm
The two Extreme Hamburger MRE's a got both had the ketchup, mustard, and cheese (and mayo? I can't remember now).

I really wish Bob could source Canadian or UK bread, it's so much better and better for these entrees.
I agree with you on all points! I just had to crack open the one I had after you posted. Curiosity and what not. I didn't get cheese or mayo, but did get ketchup and mustard. Just posted the written review. Thanks Mike for being a source of peer pressure ;)
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

M R Eedy
eBay name: Creeder

Post by M R Eedy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:05 pm

I have one of these in my stash I'm waiting for the right time to give it a try I'll have to save some tortillas plain for this ration great review 👍