Refugee Rations.

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
OzBloke

Refugee Rations.

Post by OzBloke » Mon May 20, 2019 11:39 pm

There is a fundraising/awareness event being held in Australia at the moment called 'the ration Challenge'
For this challenge, people are asked to get sponsors to support them living on a Syrian refugee ration for a week.

My research shows me that the ration they base this on is not really representative - it's very much a worst case scenario. (Certainly not of the standard of the US HDRs, for example).
(I get the feeling it is as much about making a political statement as anything else)
Site here;
http://afp.rationchallenge.org.au/04/

This seems to be closer to the norm;

I know of the HDR (humanitarian daily ration), and of subsistence rations like BP5 and NRG5.

What other refugee and humanitarian rations do you guys know about?

Richard w.

Re: Refugee Rations.

Post by Richard w. » Sat May 25, 2019 5:58 am

They don't mention what you pay up front for the materials necessary for the "challenge." Looks like you need to register first, but I don't want to.

Anyone know what this costs?

OzBloke

Re: Refugee Rations.

Post by OzBloke » Wed May 29, 2019 3:37 am

G'Day Richard,
Sorry, I don't have any info if there is an upfront cost. I get the impression they ship it free, in Oz at least, and the money comes from the person getting sponsored.
As I said above, my research suggests they are worst case and not necessarily a representative refugee ration (same for BP-RW, and NG5 - they are emergency first response rations as well).
To understand the challenge, you have to have some knowledge of the political debate here in Oz re refugees and those who advocate open borders (of which I am NOT one) - they are trying to make a emotive point in support of their case - the video I posted showing the food distribution by the UN WFP is from what I can see from research, more the norm for refugee food, at least in established camps.