Freeze Dried ration

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
Bobby

Freeze Dried ration

Post by Bobby » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:38 pm

Not sure if this is the right place but I have five freeze dried rations that are dated 2012 best I can tell..What is the shelf life on these...
Attachments
A1A31CEB-F9AE-4548-8B9F-A05115814951.jpeg

Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Re: Freeze Dried ration

Post by Amelieee1 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:58 pm

Bobby wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:38 pm
Not sure if this is the right place but I have five freeze dried rations that are dated 2012 best I can tell..What is the shelf life on these...
Beyond all of our lifetimes.
Officially 5
Guaranteed 30
Unofficially? Indefinitely
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations

Tedster

Freeze Dried

Post by Tedster » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:03 pm

Yep, those are like gold, and the way things are going that will soon be the only way you can get them. So long as the mylar/foil packaging & seal is not damaged or compromised in some way, practically indefinitely. Unlike canned goods or wet pack retorts (like MRE Entrees and components) they tend to maintain their color, taste, and nutrition as well.

Eggs are something that hasn't been perfected for preservation. Freeze dried scrambled are "OK", but I have found they can use about a 1/3rd or so less water than they recommend. Kinda want to sneak up on it, otherwise there is a salty eggy soup broth at the bottom of the package. Bring dairy butter to improve flavor. They have to strip out fat to make freeze drying foods practical.

Bobby

Re: Freeze Dried ration

Post by Bobby » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:55 am

Thanks ..When eating freeze dried eggs , I have found after rehydration I put them in a skillet cook away the water..I hate soupy or mushy eggs